Splunk Search

How to match string in multi value field?

james_n
Path Finder

Hi experts,

I have a filed called names as shown below, if i search with first line of strings then search returning the complete filed event but not second and third line of filed strings. I used | eval names= mvfilter(names="32") and also | eval names= mvfilter(match("32", names)) but not worked for me. Please help me on this, Thanks in advance.

names
1121 - sample name
3247 - sample names
9876 - simple name

required out put: if I search with names=1121* or names=3247* or names=9876* then complete event has to be returned.i,e as i shown above.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Senak
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi,

Your match() syntax in just not good.
It should be 

| eval names= mvfilter(match(names,"32"))

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think mvfind may help you.

| eval names = if ( isnull ( mvfind ( names, "32" ) ), null, names )
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

james_n
Path Finder

@richgalloway thanks for the quick response, its working fine but above mentioned value(32) comes from drop down using token, the problem is when i select any value in the drop down list its working fine but if i select * which is default value of that drop down at that time shown an error. plz help on this, once again thanks.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The second argument to mvfind (and match) must be a valid regular expression. * is not valid, but .* is. Try that.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...