Splunk Search

How to list all sourcetypes for an app on a Dashboard?

dkeck
Influencer

Hi,

I want to build a dashboard and list all the sourcetypes for an app (e.g. search or splunk_TA_nix). In the settings (Splunk 6.3), I can find a list of sourcetypes and the related apps.

Can somebody tell me what kind of search is this list based on?

I thought about

| rest services/data/

but there are no sourcetypes.

Thank you

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the following query but I don't think you are going to be able to filter by app:

| metadata type=sourcetypes
| table sourcetype

You can specify the index name and return all the sourcetypes for that particular index, but filtering by app it's a different question. If you name all those sourcetypes within the name with a similar pattern, something like "Foo_MyAppName" then it's very easy to filter by that later on, but otherwise I'm not sure.

View solution in original post

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the following query but I don't think you are going to be able to filter by app:

| metadata type=sourcetypes
| table sourcetype

You can specify the index name and return all the sourcetypes for that particular index, but filtering by app it's a different question. If you name all those sourcetypes within the name with a similar pattern, something like "Foo_MyAppName" then it's very easy to filter by that later on, but otherwise I'm not sure.

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I did manage to get to the following URI by capturing the HTTP traffic from the Settings menu you indicated before:

http://localhost:8000/en-GB/splunkd/__raw/services/saved/sourcetypes?output_mode=json&count=1000

After that deducing the following query was simple enough:

| rest /services/saved/sourcetypes
| fields title, "eai:acl.app"
| rename title AS sourcetype, "eai:acl.app" AS app_name

Let me know if that helps.

dbroggy
Path Finder

just what I was looking for, thanks.

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please keep in mind that following endpoint returns dozens of fields so you want to take a look at the full output first before filtering out those fields you think you are going to need:

| rest /services/saved/sourcetypes
0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Thank you very much. This worked for me.

|rest /services/saved/sourcetypes  
|fields title, "eai:acl.app"  
|rename title AS sourcetype, "eai:acl.app" AS app_name
0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Thank you for your answer, but thats not quite what I am looking for.

It should look like the list "source types" in the settings. There have to be a search in the background of that list,

does anybody know what this search could look like?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...