Splunk Search

How to expand multiple multivalue fields?

willial
Communicator

My table is a mess. There are 2 single-value fields and 6 multivalue fields. The multivalue fields can have any number of multiple values. One of the multivalue fields runs a simple eval comparing two of the other multivalue fields.

The problem is this. While the table is organized with each event neatly displaying multiple lines (within one table row), I can't seem to find a way to break out each line into its own row. This makes it difficult later to do any analysis, and it breaks the eval.

Instead of:

mv1a mv2a sv1

mv1b mv2b

mv1c mv3b

as a single row, I'd rather see

mv1a mv2a sv1

mv1b mv2b sv1

mv1c mv2c sv1

where each line is a separate row. If I mvexpand everything, it turns into a giant heavily duplicated mess.

Does anyone know a neat solution for this?

Tags (2)

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Inspired by @martin

your search ..| eval zip=mvzip(mvfield1,mvfield2,"##") | eval zip=mvzip(zip,mvfield3,"##") | eval zip=mvzip(zip,mvfield4,"##")| eval zip=mvzip(zip,mvfield5,"##")| eval zip=mvzip(zip,mvfield6,"##") | mvexpand zip | rex field=zip "(?<mvfield1>.*)##(?<mvfield2>.*)##(?<mvfield3>.*)##(?<mvfield4>.*)##(?<mvfield5>.*)##(?<mvfield6>.*)" | fields - zip

ivan_yanev
Explorer

I wished I knew zip command earlier ! Just beautiful answer !

0 Karma

mew1033
Explorer

This is both beautiful and terrible at the same time.
I love it.

I also like this better than the replace method. It scales a bit better, and regex is awesome.

Thanks!

0 Karma

srinathd
Contributor

It works with same cardinality N for all the fields. Suppose if mvfield2 contains some null values then it will not properly. In my case there is a single column contains multivalued fields. how to expand this into multiple rows.

0 Karma

sridharreddy

@somesoni2

Hi Somesh,

How to split this .
my query:

transaction part| timechart values(duration) as duration,values(rollno) as rollno

_time duration rollno
2016-08-07 21:13:00 10.07 1
9.56 2
7.35 3
12.32 4

I need output in below format:
_time duration rollno
2016-08-07 21:13:00 10.07 1
2016-08-07 21:13:00 9.56 2
2016-08-07 21:13:00 7.35 3
2016-08-07 21:13:00 12.32 4

thanks

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have two multi-value fields of the same cardinality N and want to expand each event into N rows you can zip them together, expand, un-zip roughly like so:

... | eval zipped = mvzip(mv1, mv2, "###") | mvexpand zipped | eval mv1 = replace(zipped, "###.*$", "") | eval mv2 = replace(zipped, "^.*###", "") | fields - zipped

I'm not quite sure if that matches your problem because you have an mv3b in your "before" example rather than an mv2c.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Okay, same within a row is enough. Here's how I'd expand my example to three fields:

... | eval zipped = mvzip(mv1, mv2, "###") | eval zipped = mvzip(zipped, mv3, "###") | mvexpand zipped | makemv delim="###" zipped | eval mv1 = mvindex(zipped, 0) | eval mv2 = mvindex(zipped, 1) | eval mv3 = mvindex(zipped, 2) | fields - zipped

This should expand to six fields in the same way... using makemv to split the zipped field apart appears easier for many fields than replace.

0 Karma

genesiusj
Builder

@martin_mueller
Thanks. I've working with Splunk for almost 2 years and have never encountered multi-value. Your solution above worked on my first try.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

0 Karma

willial
Communicator

I would load a picture but I'm a little new and it won't let me.

0 Karma

willial
Communicator

Within a single event row, all the multivalue fields are the same cardinality. Between rows they can vary (ie, mv1 might have 3 entries in the first event and 10 entries in the second event).

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are they all the same cardinality?

0 Karma

willial
Communicator

This doesn't seem to expand to work with the 6 multivalue fields I actually have.

0 Karma

willial
Communicator

mv3b was a typo. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...