Splunk Search

How to edit my subsearch to find a particular SessionID and phrase?

DanielWick

I have multiple events that are related by a similar sessionID. One event contains an employerCode, which is what I would want the input on the dashboard to be. I have hardcoded that to 00000 for now. I am looking to have by subsearch look for all logs associated with that employerCode, and pull out all SessionID's. When I run this subsearch by itself, it works fine.

sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "employer code [00000]" | rex field=_raw "SessionID:\[(?.*)\];" | dedup sid | table sid

Results:
sid
S1
S2
S3
etc.

However, I am now wanting to find all logs that contain those SessionID's and the phrase "ReasonCode". I have attempted to use the following query, but am not getting any results:

sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "ReasonCode" [search sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "employer code [00000]" | rex field=_raw "SessionID:\[(?.*)\];" | dedup sid | table sid]

However, if I were to try the following query by hardcoding the sessionID, I get what I am looking for:

sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "ReasonCode" "S1"

It would be very appreciated if somebody could help me resolve my issue and point out my mistake.

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi DanielWick,

I think the rex syntax in your search is incorrect.

rex field=_raw "SessionID:[(?.*)];"

If you want to extract session id from your raw events and assign the values to a field you should supply in the regex capture group. For example, if your new field is sid, use the following search:

sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "employer code [00000]" | rex field=_raw "SessionID:\[(?<sid>.*)\];" | dedup sid | table sid

For details about the rex command, please refer to:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/SearchReference/Rex

In your search below, you simply retrieved all the events with "S1" in the raw data, not with field sid="S1".

sourcetype="ta" index="p_r" "ReasonCode" "S1"

Also, please note that subsearch is not without its limitations. Subsearches are limited by both time and event count:
• Default time limit = 60 seconds
– If the subsearch continues to run after this time, it is finalized
–Only the events found during that time are returned to the outer
search
• Default results limit = 10,000
– After 10,499 entries, the results are truncated (partial result set)

Hope this helps.Thanks!
Hunter

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...