Splunk Search

How to edit my search to use a custom field created with eval in my time chart search?

trevorr2004
Engager

I have a search that comes up with a score based off a custom formula from nessus scan results. I want to plot that vulnscore over the past 90 days IE the score from 0-30/30-60/60-90. Can anyone provide a little guidance on how I can make use of timechart with a custom eval field rather than simply running a search and using those results in the timechart. Listed below is my base search.

index=network sourcetype=nessus severity!=informational signature!=*Windows* signature!=*Adobe* signature!=*Java* signature_family!="Windows : Microsoft Bulletins" signature_family!="Red Hat Local Security Checks" signature!="Google Chrome*" signature!="Firefox*" signature!="MS*" signature!="Flash Player*" signature!="Solaris*" 
| dedup dest_dns signature_id 
|stats count by signature_id cvss_base_score 
|eval  scoreadjust=floor(cvss_base_score) 
| eval scoreadjust=round(pow(scoreadjust * 0.1, 3)*10,2)
|  eval riskscore=count*scoreadjust/5500
| stats sum(riskscore) as VulnScore 
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=network sourcetype=nessus severity!=informational signature!=*Windows* signature!=*Adobe* signature!=*Java* signature_family!="Windows : Microsoft Bulletins" signature_family!="Red Hat Local Security Checks" signature!="Google Chrome*" signature!="Firefox*" signature!="MS*" signature!="Flash Player*" signature!="Solaris*"  earliest=-90d@d 
| eval range=case(_time>relative_time(now(), "-90d@d") AND _time<relative_time(now(), "-60d@d"), "60-90 days", _time>relative_time(now(), "-60d@d") AND _time<relative_time(now(), "-30d@d"), "30-60 days", _time>relative_time(now(), "-30d@d"), "0-30 days", 1=1, "UNK")
| stats count by range signature_id cvss_base_score 
| eval  scoreadjust=floor(cvss_base_score) 
| eval riskscore=count*scoreadjust/5500
| stats sum(riskscore) as VulnScore by range

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=network sourcetype=nessus severity!=informational signature!=*Windows* signature!=*Adobe* signature!=*Java* signature_family!="Windows : Microsoft Bulletins" signature_family!="Red Hat Local Security Checks" signature!="Google Chrome*" signature!="Firefox*" signature!="MS*" signature!="Flash Player*" signature!="Solaris*"  earliest=-90d@d 
| eval range=case(_time>relative_time(now(), "-90d@d") AND _time<relative_time(now(), "-60d@d"), "60-90 days", _time>relative_time(now(), "-60d@d") AND _time<relative_time(now(), "-30d@d"), "30-60 days", _time>relative_time(now(), "-30d@d"), "0-30 days", 1=1, "UNK")
| stats count by range signature_id cvss_base_score 
| stats sum(riskscore) as VulnScore by range

trevorr2004
Engager

This worked perfectly for a line graph. Do you have any suggestions on how I could use this same search to use the single value to give just a comparison from previous months?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this for the Prev Month comparison (I assume you are referring to trend in single value)

index=network sourcetype=nessus severity!=informational signature!=*Windows* signature!=*Adobe* signature!=*Java* signature_family!="Windows : Microsoft Bulletins" signature_family!="Red Hat Local Security Checks" signature!="Google Chrome*" signature!="Firefox*" signature!="MS*" signature!="Flash Player*" signature!="Solaris*"  earliest=-60d@d 
 | bin span=1mon _time
 | stats count by _time signature_id cvss_base_score 
 | stats sum(riskscore) as VulnScore by _time
0 Karma

trevorr2004
Engager

This worked also. Final question, say I have for instance an eval

eval PatchScorePerHost=PatchScore/5550

and I don't need to sum but need to plot that in timetables also. Is there any function of the stat command to just plot the output of the final eval. Basically I am working on creating a risk score that we can track in splunk.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try using values(PatchScorePerHost) for a dedup'd list OR list(PatchScorePerHost) for all entries

0 Karma

trevorr2004
Engager

I was able to rearrange my equation like such with your guidance.

index=network sourcetype=nessus severity!=informational signature!=*Windows* signature!=*Adobe* signature!=*Java* signature_family!="Windows : Microsoft Bulletins" signature_family!="Red Hat Local Security Checks" signature!="Google Chrome*" signature!="Firefox*" signature!="MS*" signature!="Flash Player*" signature!="Solaris*"     
| bin span=1mon _time   
| stats count by _time signature_id cvss_base_score 
| eval scoreadjust=round(pow(scoreadjust,3)/100)   
| eval my_time=_time 
| convert timeformat="%m-%Y" ctime(my_time)   
| stats  sum(riskscore) as VulnScore by my_time

Instead of using the static number of 5500, is there a way I could dynamically count my host scan then use that in an eval statement so

stats dc(dest_dns) and then use that instead of the 5500?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...