Splunk Search

How to edit my regex to remove all text before ":" if there is more than one

nikolaevnz
Engager

Hello Team, Splunkers, 

I am working on a correlation search and need to use a regex expression to strip all text before a column ":". Following the suggestion presented in: 

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-edit-my-regex-to-remove-all-text-before-an-opti...

I managed to strip the text using this expression which was derived from the topic above: 

| rex field=my_host "(?<my_host>[^\:]+)$"

and apply it to the following line: 

Microsoft.Windows.Server.10.0.LogicalDisk:my_host.server;D 

it will work and I will receive: my_host.server;D

However if I apply the above expression to the same line but with column at the end of the string looking like this: 

Microsoft.Windows.Server.10.0.LogicalDisk:my_host.server;D:

this will not be matched. Could you please assist me with editing my expression to cover both cases and still get my_host.server;D as a result.

Regards Nikolay

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this command.  There may be other expressions that accomplish the same thing, but this one matches the examples provided.

| rex field=my_host ":(?<my_host>[^\:]+):?$"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nikolaevnz
Engager

Thank you for the help it woks as intended. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this command.  There may be other expressions that accomplish the same thing, but this one matches the examples provided.

| rex field=my_host ":(?<my_host>[^\:]+):?$"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...