Splunk Search

How to create a drilldown to run a new search from clicking an item on a table?

aferone
Builder

I looked through the docs and other Splunk Answers, but it still isn't making sense to me, so please bear with me. 🙂

I have a simple "top" chart on a dashboard that lists web categories, their count, and percentage. I would like to be able to click on one of those categories and open a new search, in a new window (or tab), and insert that clicked category into a new search like this:

index=index type=type subtype=subtype action=action category=**CLICKED CATEGORY** | table _time srcip level dstip SourceZone reqtype service hostname url referralurl sentbyte rcvdbyte action msg catdesc crscore crlevel

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for your continued, great help!

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Here is some good documentation on this.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Viz/Dynamicdrilldownindashboardsandforms

Basically, you will need to add a <drilldown target="_blank"> tag to your xml, something like this

<drilldown target="_blank">
      <link>/app/search/search?q=search%20index%3D_internal%20sourcetype%3Dsplunkd%20log_level%3D$row.log_level$</link>
    </drilldown>

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Here is some good documentation on this.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Viz/Dynamicdrilldownindashboardsandforms

Basically, you will need to add a <drilldown target="_blank"> tag to your xml, something like this

<drilldown target="_blank">
      <link>/app/search/search?q=search%20index%3D_internal%20sourcetype%3Dsplunkd%20log_level%3D$row.log_level$</link>
    </drilldown>

aferone
Builder

Thanks for the answer! But how would I setup the link to a normal search like the example I have above?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can basically use any URL encoder online tool to transform your query

Query that needs to be run:

index=index type=type subtype=subtype action=action category=**CLICKED CATEGORY** | table _time srcip level dstip SourceZone reqtype service hostname url referralurl sentbyte rcvdbyte action msg catdesc crscore crlevel

URL Encoded search:

index%3Dindex+type%3Dtype+subtype%3Dsubtype+action%3Daction+category%3D%24row.category%24+%7C+table+_time+srcip+level+dstip+SourceZone+reqtype+service+hostname+url+referralurl+sentbyte+rcvdbyte+action+msg+catdesc+crscore+crlevel

OR can use this runanywhere splunk search do that

| gentimes start=-1 | eval url=urlencode("Enteryourfullsearch here. escaping of double quotes would be required")
0 Karma

aferone
Builder

I actually got it working. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...