Splunk Search

How do I convert Duration field in sec to day Hr Min Sec?

Abhineet
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Base query:

index=jenkins* teamcenter
|search event_tag=job_event
|search build_url=*TC_Active*
|where isnotnull(job_duration)
|rex field=job_name "(?<app>[^\.]*)\/(?<repo>[^\.]*)\/(?<jobname>[^\.].*)"
|rex field=metadata.GIT_BRANCH_NAME "(?<branch>.*)"
|rex field=user "(?<user>[^\.]*)"
|search app="*" AND repo="*" AND jobname="*" AND branch="*" AND user="*"
| eval string_dur = tostring(round(job_duration), "duration")
| eval formatted_dur = replace(string_dur,"(?:(\d+)\+)?0?(\d+):0?(\d+):0?(\d+)","\1d \2h \3m \4s")
|rename job_started_at AS DateTime app AS Repository branch AS Branch jobname AS JobName job_result AS Job_Result formatted_dur AS Job_Duration "stages{}.name" AS "Stage View" "stages{}.duration" AS Duration
|table DateTime Repository Branch JobName Job_Result Job_Duration "Stage View" Duration

Output: 

DateTime Repository Branch JobName Job_Result Job_Duration Stage View Duration

2022-07-07T11:47:39Z TeamCenter/TC_Active/TCUA_Builds release/ALM_TC15.5 AMAT_Key_Part_Family_Extraction SUCCESS d 0h 15m 35s
Preparation
Sonar Analysis
Build
Save Artifacts
2022-07-07T17:14:49Z TeamCenter/TC_Active/Portal release/ALM_TC15.5 com.amat.rac SUCCESS d 0h 25m 49s
Preparation
Sonar Analysis
Build
Save Artifacts

Need to add another column in output "stage_duration" which will convert "Duration" field value in  "Day Hr Min Sec" format. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Abhineet,

let me understand: you have a field, called "stage_duration" that contains a duration expressed in seconds and you want to rename it in "Duration" and display in format days, hours, minutes, seconds, is it correct?

Sorry but I don't understand why at the end of your servs you don't add:

| eval Duration=tostring(stage_duration,"duration")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Abhineet

Hi @gcusello 

We have field "Duration" in output sent previously as image.

Want to convert all  "Duration " field value into "day Hr Min Sec" format as field "Stage_Duration".

For single event we have multiple "Duration" field Value as per "Stage View" field mentioned in below mentioned sample output image.

Abhineet_0-1657288863765.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Abhineet,

viewing your screenshot, I see that Duration is a multivalue field so the tostring option doesn't run.

Ciao.

Giuseppe 

0 Karma

Abhineet

Hi @gcusello 

That's correct, how we can format the value of "Duration" field in "HH:MM:SS" format?

0 Karma

Abhineet

Formatted Output for query inserted as image.

Abhineet_0-1657282060041.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Abhineet,

why don't you use for these fields the "tostring" option that you already used?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Abhineet

HI @gcusello 

That is not working as in single event have multiple stages and those stages duration need to format.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...