Splunk Search

Extract variable between pipe symbol from log and use it for query

krishman23
Explorer

I have a log generated in splunk which will have unique id  in with pipe symbols:

ex:

19:46:47.146 - [http-nio-8000-exec-9] INFO edu.test.controller |{My Var1}|{My Var2}|{myVar3}| - {log message}.

I need to perform a query based on {My Var1}.

Also need to list (dedup) all logs best on {My Var1}.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "\|(?<Var1>[^\|]+)\|(?<Var2>[^\|]+)\|(?<Var3>[^\|]+)\|\s\-\s(?<logmessage>.*)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

krishman23
Explorer

@ITWhisperer: i additional case in this rex, some time my logmessage will have URL as 

Req URL : hello/test/content

or Req URL : hello/test/content/ , i need to truncate / of second request. Can you help with this ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=events mode=sed "s/(?<url>[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+)(?<slash>\/*)/\1/g"
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "\|(?<Var1>[^\|]+)\|(?<Var2>[^\|]+)\|(?<Var3>[^\|]+)\|\s\-\s(?<logmessage>.*)"
0 Karma

krishman23
Explorer

my bad , got it what you are saying.,

As second part of my question how can we user Var1 as variable for next search?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depends on what you want to get out of your data

| dedup Var1
| where Var2="xyz"
| stats count by Var3
0 Karma

krishman23
Explorer

but var1,var2,var3  are unknown to me, those are variables in log

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The rex extracts the value between the first two pipes into a field called Var1, the value between the second and third pipes into a field called Var2, etc. You can then use these fields in your query or just display them in as columns in a table. Is this not what you want to do?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...