Splunk Search

Error when using eval in a range

markthompson
Builder

Hi,
i have the following search query:

index=project_omega host=PersistUBS | transaction startswith="Targeting file BP_Comp_Summ_Pos*" endswith="Server returned an error: No such file or folder" OR "The file was downloaded successfully." | search "Error" OR "Attempt 3...unsuccessful."  | eval interval=relative_time(_time,"@d") | eval isFailure=if(searchmatch("Error") OR searchmatch("Attempt 3...unsuccessful."),1,0) | stats sum(isFailure) as failures | rangemap field=failures low=0-0 elevated=1-2 severe=3-15 default=15

But it's showing as N/A instead of a number, please can someone suggest why this is?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi markthompson,

based on @martin_mueller 's answer and my comment, I did some research and tests, how this could be done without use of a sub search. It took a while, but here is what you can try and it should handle the case when there are no events at all during the search time range:

index=project_omega host=PersistUBS 
| transaction startswith="Targeting file BP_Comp_Summ_Pos*" endswith="Server returned an error: No such file or folder" OR "The file was downloaded successfully." 
| search "Error" OR "Attempt 3...unsuccessful."  
| eval isFailure=if(searchmatch("Error") OR searchmatch("Attempt 3...unsuccessful."),1,0) 
| stats count AS myCount sum(isFailure) as failures 
| eval failure=if(myCount=="0",0,failure)
| rangemap field=failures low=0-0 elevated=1-2 severe=3-15 default=15

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi markthompson,

based on @martin_mueller 's answer and my comment, I did some research and tests, how this could be done without use of a sub search. It took a while, but here is what you can try and it should handle the case when there are no events at all during the search time range:

| transaction startswith="Targeting file BP_Comp_Summ_Pos*" endswith="Server returned an error: No such file or folder" OR "The file was downloaded successfully." 
| eval isFailure=if(searchmatch("Error") OR searchmatch("Attempt 3...unsuccessful."),1,0) 
| stats count AS myCount sum(isFailure) as failures 
| eval failure=if(myCount=="0",0,failure)
| rangemap field=failures low=0-0 elevated=1-2 severe=3-15 default=15

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The sum of "nothing" is not zero, it's "nothing" or rather null. To fix that, you could include this before the stats:

... | eval isFailure=... | append [stats count | eval isFailure=0] | stats sum(isFailure) as failures | ...

That'll make sure there always is at least one zero to sum up, guaranteeing a numeric sum.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Post it here and let the world be your critic?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When there are zero events that eval would be run zero times 😛

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

btw, just found a way to do this without append and it works with or without finding results. If it's okay I'll mail you the search so you can verify this twisted search 🙂

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

true .. 🙂

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Just asking: why not a simple isnull eval instead of the appended subsearch?

...| eval isFailure=if(isnull(isFailure),"0",isFailure) | ...
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure you set the default range to something other than 15, probably default=critical or something like that.

Also note you're calculating an interval field but not using it.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi markthompson,

what will happen if you try something like this:

| eval interval=relative_time(_time,"@d") 
| stats sum(isFailure) as failures 
| eval failuresCategory = case(failures=0,"low",failures<3,"elevated",failures>=3,"severe")
| table failuresCategory 

Maybe this will help you to get to the point.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Doesn't sound like a rangemap issue, this is the value showing N/A rather than the colour, right?

Make sure there actually are matching events in the time range to have something to sum up.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

There are no events in Today that have failed, so it should default to low (green). Any ideas why it's not doing so?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Basically what @MuS said:

...  | eval range = case(failures=0,"low",failures<3,"elevated",failures>=3,"severe")
0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

I've tried this and then it still says N/A on my dashboard.

Current string:

index=project_omega host=PersistUBS | transaction startswith="Targeting file BP_Comp_Summ_Pos*" endswith="Server returned an error: No such file or folder" OR "The file was downloaded successfully."  | search "Error" OR "Attempt 3...unsuccessful."  
 | eval interval=relative_time(_time,"@d") 
 | stats sum(isFailure) as failures 
 | eval failuresCategory = case(failures=0,"low",failures<3,"elevated",failures>=3,"severe")
 | eval range = case(failures=0,"low",failures<3,"elevated",failures>=3,"severe")
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use eval to compute a field called range using the case suggested by @MuS and you'll have the same behaviour as rangemap, including dashboard visualizations using the field value as a CSS class.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Hey Martin, can you please give me an example of the string you would use and I'll mark it as answer if it works.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Hi MuS Thanks for this answer.
However, I wish to use the rangemap command as it's configured on the dashboard to create a traffic light based on the level (low, elevated or severe)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...