Splunk Search

Creating Custom IP reputation Check

reddie123
Engager

Hello guys, I am fairly new to splunk, and i wish to create a system where i can extract unique client ips from our org's logs from splunk send them to a third party's rest api for reputation checks and based on the respone raise alerts on splunk. What would be best way to do this?

I tried experimenting with add-on builder and app creation but i couldn't go further is there a way i create a custom  app to access logs send them and raise alerts based on response?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider writing a program that uses the Splunk SDK to search your logs, send the results to the third-party, then process those responses.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The easiest approach - especially if you're new to splunk, might be indeed as @richgalloway suggested, to call splunk from outside, retrieve some search result and check them there with your service.

But if you really want to do it within splunk you'd probably need to create a custom command which you could run in your search and that's not that easy.

And it's hard to say - from your specification - which parts of this whole solution you already have (like do you have your data onboarded properly to splunk or do you need to start at the very beginning and need to configure log forwarding to splunk) and which are missing.

BTW, it looks like you're treading more into a SOAR teritory than pure Splunk Enterprise functionality.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider writing a program that uses the Splunk SDK to search your logs, send the results to the third-party, then process those responses.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...