Splunk Search

Correlating Different Events and Calculating Time Difference

dw385
Explorer

I’m trying to report on the time difference between two related events. Both events are collected from Windows event log and are in the same index. They will occur on the same host but at different times and IDs.
Example event data:

Time: 3/11/2016 9:00:45 PM
EventID: 1000
Source: Backup Agent Message:
Backup Started
Host: Server1
Time: 3/12/2016 1:09:45 AM

EventID: 1001
Source: Backup Agent
Host: Server1

The second event can occur any time after the first, maybe in a few minutes or a few hours. I’m thinking I need to find event 1(1000) first and then look for the first occurrence of event 2 afterwards. The index would contain similar events from many hosts around the same time.
I’ve tried various attempts with joins, transactions, and subsearches and searching the documentation for suggestions with no luck. I’m really not concerned with any of the data in the event other than the time (which I would eval to a start and end time). The goal is to be able to run a report over a time span to show the start/end times for each host.

This gets me close but doesn’t scale to multiple hosts/time ranges:

index="wineventlog" SourceName="Backup Agent" (EventCode="1000" OR EventCode="1001") 
| transaction maxspan=4h startswith=(EventCode="1000") endswith=(EventCode="1001") 
| table host,duration
Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How many times these events can happen from one host in a day?

0 Karma

dw385
Explorer

Usually only one occurrence but its possible to see multiple in a day as jobs are restarted.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Try this first:

index="wineventlog" SourceName="Backup Agent" (EventCode="1000" OR EventCode="1001") 
 | transaction host maxspan=4h startswith=(EventCode="1000") endswith=(EventCode="1001") 
 | table host,duration

All I did was add host to the transaction command. This should help, but it still may not be a good solution, if you have a long time range.
You could also try this:

| sort host,_time
| eval starttime=if(EventCode="1000",_time,null())
| eval endtime=if(EventCode="1001",_time,null())
| streamstats current=t window=2 global=f latest(starttime) as start latest(endtime) as end by host
| where isnotnull(endtime)
| eval duration=end-start

This solution should work with somewhat larger timeframes. I am not sure how well it will work if you have multiple backups for a single host.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...