Splunk Search

Chunked=True SmartStreamingCommand to support large data sets - requires change to internals.py - remove flush at maxresultrows

onthebay
Path Finder

To support large dataset (1mil + rows) using custom commands and Chunked=true

I implemented SmartStreamingCommand per: How come custom search commands (CSC) SCPv2 cannot handle large event sets

To resolve an issue where I used a SCPv2 generating command to feed a SCPv2 streaming command dropping records:
I removed the partial=True flush in internals.py for SmartStreamingCommand to work consistently.

Deleted this from internals.py for use in chunked commands :

if self._record_count >= self._maxresultrows:
        self.flush(partial=True)

See:
- https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python/pull/251
- https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python/issues/150

What are the ramifications of this change

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kulick
Path Finder

I have attempted to handle this issue in a more recent change to the original patch.

Details here: https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python/compare/master...TiVo:large-scale-custom-cmds

Let me know if that resolves the issues you were seeing. Good luck! 🙂

0 Karma

onthebay
Path Finder

When I remove the partial=true flush I no longer need the smartstreaming command to process records. All records sent by splunk are available to the custom command and returned to splunk for the next spl. When you have a moment could you try this approach and see if I am missing something?

Smartstreaming only worked if the spl pipeline feeding it included no other SCPv2 custom commands

0 Karma

kulick
Path Finder

Sorry, I didn't originally see your follow up here.

I think that the underlying bug that I am working around in the patch referenced above produces different behaviors depending on many different factors (eg. custom command input event to output event ratio (does it turn each input event into multiple output events?), Splunk architecture (are there many indexers serving the query or just one?), the SPL structure (is the SPL command starting from a generating command or from a real search?), etc.) Based on all of these differences, the bug may or may not be triggered.

I didn't completely follow your request here, but I do not believe that simply adding or removing a flush() command at the right time will work around the current Splunk daemon bug. Instead, the custom command must carefully manage the timing of how it collects and returns information to its Splunk parent process to avoid the bug...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...