Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Phantom: What role is best for a user creating a playbook?

ang3la42

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to let me know the correct role to choose for a user whose responsibility will be to create playbooks.

1. Automation Engineer: Automation Engineers can author rules to automate security actions.
  2. Incident Commander: Incident Commanders are allowed to view/edit Events and are allowed to create new Actions.

The Automation Engineer and the Incident Commander both have these permissions:
Apps: can view
Assets: can view
Events: can edit, can view
Custom Lists: can view
Playbooks: can edit, can view, can execute, can edit code
System Settings: can view
User & Roles: can view

The Incident Commander has a few additional permissions:
Cases: can delete, can edit, can view
Playbooks: can delete
System Settings: can edit

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @ang3la42 -
If you're looking for the right out-of-the-box permissions for a user who'll primarily be building playbooks (but not necessarily responding to incidents), then 'Automation Engineer' is the way to go. From the docs, its described thusly:

Automation Engineers are responsible for building the playbooks required to automate security operations.
Responsible for:
- Creating and Managing PLAYBOOKS"

However, as you point out, the Automation Engineer role does include the ability to view and edit events (but not cases) - which is useful for testing when building playbooks. Further lock-down could be accomplished by creating a custom role if necessary.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @ang3la42 -
If you're looking for the right out-of-the-box permissions for a user who'll primarily be building playbooks (but not necessarily responding to incidents), then 'Automation Engineer' is the way to go. From the docs, its described thusly:

Automation Engineers are responsible for building the playbooks required to automate security operations.
Responsible for:
- Creating and Managing PLAYBOOKS"

However, as you point out, the Automation Engineer role does include the ability to view and edit events (but not cases) - which is useful for testing when building playbooks. Further lock-down could be accomplished by creating a custom role if necessary.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...