Splunk Observability Cloud

Splunk Observability Cloud and Kong plugin setup?

NickyCarlisle
Engager

I'm trying to get the kong plugin to work with Splunk Observability cloud.

Here is my agent_config.yaml relating to kong:

recievers
 smartagent/kong:
  type: collectd/kong
  host: 127.0.0.1
  port: 8000

service:
 pipelines:
  metrics:
   receivers: [hostmetrics, otlp, signalfx, smartagent/signalfx-forwarder, smartagent/kong]

When I start my Splunk OTEL collector I am getting metrics from the server but not the Kong service, checking journalctl I see:

otelcol[25528]: 2023-01-30T17:08:05.855Z        error        signalfx/handler.go:189        Traceback (most recent call last):
otelcol[25528]:   File "/usr/lib/splunk-otel-collector/agent-bundle/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sfxrunner/scheduler/simple.py", line 57, in _call_on_interval
otelcol[25528]:     func()
otelcol[25528]:   File "/usr/lib/splunk-otel-collector/agent-bundle/collectd-python/kong/kong/reporter.py", line 56, in update_and_report
otelcol[25528]:     self.kong_state.update_from_sfx()
otelcol[25528]:   File "/usr/lib/splunk-otel-collector/agent-bundle/collectd-python/kong/kong/kong_state.py", line 63, in update_from_sfx
otelcol[25528]:     self.update_resource_metrics(status['signalfx'])
otelcol[25528]: KeyError: 'signalfx'
otelcol[25528]:         {"kind": "receiver", "name": "smartagent/kong", "pipeline": "metrics", "monitorID": "smartagentkong", "monitorType": "collectd/kong", "runnerPID": 25545, "createdTime": 1675098485.8552756, "logger": "root", "sourcePath": "/usr/lib/splunk-otel-collector/agent-bundle/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sfxrunner/logs.py", "lineno": 56}

I have installed the kong plugin using these instructions: 

https://docs.splunk.com/Observability/gdi/kong/kong.html

0 Karma

bishida
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The signalfx Kong plugin was written for Kong 2.x. I don't believe it is compatible with Kong 3.x. This may be the problem if you have the newest version of Kong. Kong 3.x deprecated a bunch of lua libraries the plugin was using.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...