Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Reduce the 200G limit in data collection in SII

rako1980
Explorer

For my small number of hosts being monitored by Splunk Insight in Infrastructure, I would like to limit the 200G limit to much lower like 50G or so, so that I think the purging works automatically after it hits the limit. How do I lower that limit? I don't want splunk insight to reach 200G limit.

One thing I thought was just let the SII server to have around 50G disk, but it stops the collection as soon as there is only 5G left with error:
ERROR DiskMon - Disk Monitor: The index processor has paused data flow. Current free disk space on partition '/' has fallen to 4998MB, below the minimum of 5000MB. Data writes to index path '/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/em_metrics/db'cannot safely proceed. Increase free disk space on partition '/' by removing or relocating data.

pwu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There's a parameter in indexes.conf that addresses this (maxVolumeDataSizeMB).

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.2/Admin/Indexesconf

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

@pwu_splunk I have set the parameter as instructed, but I do not see the data shrink.
root@**:~# grep maxVolume /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 10480
root@
*:~# du -hs /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk
19G /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk

I have restarted the splunk servoce. So splunkd process was restarted.
I am using the Splunk Insight for Infrastructure and not the Splunk Enterprise.

0 Karma

pwu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Which volume did you add the parameter to?

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

Not sure if I understood "which volume". These are the p;aces I added those parameters and restart the spunk:

grep maxVolumeDataSizeMB -R /opt/splunk/etc | grep -v README

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf:maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 10480
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_infrastructure/default/indexes.conf:maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 10480
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_infrastructure/local/indexes.conf:maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 10480

0 Karma

twhite_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi there @rako1980 - there is more than one index within a given Splunk install - is the goal that you only want Splunk to occupy so much space in general?

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

@twhite_splunk My understanding, SII collects data from log and metrics both. SII docs states that the installation includes only 200G of data. I would like to reduce that whole in general to use much lesser than 200G. Note that this is a standalone SII installation

0 Karma

twhite_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @rako1980 , could you clarify your request? Are you saying you only want the SII data to occupy a certain amount of space on your indexers, or are you asking how to reduce ingest?

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

@twhite_splunk That is correct. Looking for guidance on how can I configure to make SII data to use certain amount of space instead of default 200G. If not, also a way to clean up the SII data to truncate or reduce the s[ace occupied. Thanks you.

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

Anyone? I need to have Splunk Insight for Infrastructure only limit to 20G or so instead of 200G default.

0 Karma

rako1980
Explorer

Well, it is probably one of the settings in /opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf, but not exactly user. Anyway, I edited the min minFreeSpace = 500, but modifying the setting shows following warning in the dashbaord:
Installed Files Integrity Checker: Unable to access or parse the contents of manifest file in SPLUNK_HOME directory. As a result, file integrity information is not available. Verify manifest file in SPLUNK_HOME directory is still present, and that the splunk service user context will have read-access.

It would be nice if we can have SII to configure with lower limit than 200G than above min free space settings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...