help for requesting on many sourcetype

jip31
Motivator

Hello

I have to search events on many sourcetype with name begin by "ezop:web"

So I use a wildcard after "ezop:web*"

index="tutu" sourcetype=ezop:web*

Is it the good practice or is it better to do somethin like this :

(sourcetype=ezop:web1 OR sourcetype=ezop:web2 OR sourcetype=ezop:web3)

Or pearhaps something else?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

In personally I use the 1st one in most cases.  To be sure which one is best for your particular cases I propose you to check with Job Inspector the costs of different versions. This could be different based on cardinality of sourcetypes and amount of your events you have.

Of course if you have ST likes ezop:web1 .... ezop:web9999 then it's better to use 2nd one or sourcetype IN (ezop:web1, ezop:web2, ezop:web3). But as I said, you should use Job Inspector to check which one is best in which case.

r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

In personally I use the 1st one in most cases.  To be sure which one is best for your particular cases I propose you to check with Job Inspector the costs of different versions. This could be different based on cardinality of sourcetypes and amount of your events you have.

Of course if you have ST likes ezop:web1 .... ezop:web9999 then it's better to use 2nd one or sourcetype IN (ezop:web1, ezop:web2, ezop:web3). But as I said, you should use Job Inspector to check which one is best in which case.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...