Splunk Enterprise

When trying to create an audit for AD changes, why do we have No results found?

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

I need to create an audit for AD changes and have followed all steps in https://support.logbinder.com/SuperchargerKB/50135/8-Install-Supercharger-with-Splunk-Light-and-the-Splunk-App-for-LOGbinder . Logs are all showing when I search index=main but no results found in the dashboard and Logbinder for splunk AD changes. I followed some searches from the past threads. Please see attached results. Kindly assist on this. Thank you.

sourcetype.PNGindex.PNGelect_winseclog_events.PNGinputlookup.PNGevent logs in index=main.PNGno results found.PNG

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gendupali
Explorer

Hello, Rich.

I think it is solved now. Changed select_winseclog_events definition to index=main. Thank you for your support. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Please share the searches used in the dashboard shown in the last screen shot.
If that dashboard uses the searches shown in the previous screen shots, then the problem may be the errors in the third and fourth searches. Once you resolve those errors the dashboard may show data.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

Thank you for your reply. No results found for all filters in the dashboard. For example, under AD changes account changes by domain:

search [ | inputlookup domain_controllers | fields ComputerName ] (index=wineventlog OR index=main) eventtype=WinSecLog EventCode=4738 | search NOT [ search [ | inputlookup domain_controllers | fields ComputerName ] (index=wineventlog OR index=main) eventtype=WinSecLog (EventCode=4738 OR EventCode=4720) |transaction maxspan=1s startswith=4720 endswith=4738 | fields _time TargetAccountName ] | eval Account_Expires_timestamp=strptime(Account_Expires,"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %p") | where (Logon_Hours=="All" OR match(_raw,"Account Enabled") OR Account_Expires=="<never>" OR Account_Expires_timestamp>_time OR User_Principal_Name!="-" OR SAM_Account_Name!="-" OR match(_raw,"'Smartcard Required'\s*-\s*Disabled") OR match(_raw,"'Don't Expire Password'\s*-\s*Enabled") OR match(_raw,"'Not Delegated'\s*-\s*Disabled") OR User_Workstations="<value not set>" ) | append [search [ | inputlookup domain_controllers | fields ComputerName ] (index=wineventlog OR index=main) eventtype=WinSecLog (EventCode=4720 OR EventCode=4725 OR EventCode=4726 ) ] | eval type=case(EventCode=4738,"Significant Change",EventCode=4720,"New user",EventCode=4725 OR EventCode=4726,"Deleted/Disabled")

I found some of the event codes like 4726 in main=index logs so there should be something reflected in the dashboard. How do I solve error: Error in 'SearchParser': The search specifies a macro 'select_winseclog_events' that cannot be found. Reasons include: the macro name is misspelled, you do not have "read" permission for the macro, or the macro has not been shared with this application. Click Settings, Advanced search, Search Macros to view macro information. . when I search for `select_winseclog_events` (EventCode=4932 OR EventCode=4768)? 

The fourth image is now resolved when I removed the "|". Please help.

inputlookup.PNG

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The search specifies a macro 'select_winseclog_events' that cannot be found. Reasons include: the macro name is misspelled, you do not have "read" permission for the macro, or the macro has not been shared with this application. Click Settings, Advanced search, Search Macros to view macro information.

The error seems pretty clear about the cause of the error and how to resolve it:

• Make sure you have the right macro name
  • Make sure you have permission to read the macro
  • Make sure the macro is shared so you can access it

If you obtained the search from an on-line search, you may need to install an app that defines the macro.

inputlookup is a generating command so it must be preceded by a pipe.

---
0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

Hello. 

These are my macros. Do I need this `select_winseclog_events`  macros to reflect data to the dashboard? Can you please help me how can I add this please? I was not able to find app that defines the macro. Thank you.macros.PNG

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your search uses a macro then you must have a definition for that macro.  Where did you get the search if the macro did not come with it?

The screen shot shows only those macros visible to the Search & Reporting app.  We already know the macro is not on that list because of the error message.  Select "All" from the App menu to see all macros.  If the one you're using still isn't on the list then you'll have to create one.

The first Google hit for 'select_winseclog_events' turned up this definition, which may be suitable for you.

[select_winseclog_events]
definition = (index=wineventlog OR index=main) eventtype=WinSecLog

---
0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

I see it now thanks. i removed the ' from 'select_winseclog_events' (EventCode=4726 OR EventCode=4768). But still no result found although these events are present in the index=main logs. Kindly help on finding how to reflect this logs on the ADChanges like the last image  from splunk webinar. event code.PNGno results found.PNGmacros.PNGfrom webinar.PNG

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
In the "Search macros" screen, click on "Permissions" on the "select_winseclog_events" line and change the sharing to Global.
Then go back to your search and replace the backticks around the macro name. It should work now.
---
0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

Thank you that worked. But still no result and did not reflect in the dashboard. 

Capture.PNG

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Now you have a different problem to solve.  🙂

A dashboard showing no results could mean there are events which mean the criteria or it could mean the search is not valid (wrong index, etc.).

Click in the search bar and type CTRL-Shift-E to expand all macros.  Verify the expansion makes sense in your Splunk environment.  Make changes as necessary.  Run that search in a new window so see f you get results.  If so, update the dashboard with the corrected search.

---
0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

This one is for account changes by Domain. I ran it in search bar but still no result. Sorry I'm a newbie so I am not sure if those macros are correct. But even simple search like `select_winseclog_events` (EventCode=4726 OR EventCode=4768) and | inputlookup domain_controllers.. is not showing anything.. 
Capture.PNG

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The basic process for debugging a query is to start with the text before the first pipe and run it by itself to verify the results are expected.  Add one pipe at a time until the query breaks.  Then you know where to focus your efforts.

Subsearches should be run by themselves.  Add | format on the end (if not already present) to see what the subsearch will pass to the main search.

I suspect the inputlookup subsearches need | format added to them.

---

gendupali
Explorer

Hello, Rich.

I think it is solved now. Changed select_winseclog_events definition to index=main. Thank you for your support. 

0 Karma

genldupali
Loves-to-Learn

Now I don't have any errors in searching but still no result. Kindly assist please. Thank you.Capture.PNG

0 Karma

paulopires16
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @genldupali 

Did you solve your problem?

I have the same problem. 

Thanks

Paulo

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The solution is at the top of this thread.  If your problem is similar, but the solution doesn't work for you then please post a new question.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...