Splunk Enterprise

User lockout

czql5v
Observer

Hi All,

just started a new role and not been introduced to splunk in any previous jobs, and this is completly new to me.

We have a user that is constantly getting account lockout issues.

All our Domain controller security logs etc are extracted into splunk every fifteen minutes. I am attempting to complete a search from the Splunk>enterprise --- New Search field but I can only extract the below information which tells me the user, source, and host and that the user has an Audit failure.

Please could someone point me to how I would go about extracting the information of what machine the user is getting the account lock from. I see quite a few messages on the internet but they never say where the actual message should be input from. Is it directly into the New Search field....

Any help would be very much appreciated.

czql5v_0-1715351736057.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

The data comes from either the AD server or the Windows servers by the way of the Universal Forwarder, that's the source of the event logs. 

You have data coming in from the AD server where a UF is installed and that's how the logs are collected , and the logs are configured by your AD admin, some times they need to enable further logging for advance events. 

Try these first   and see if they exist as they may give you further info you need, if they don't , then it might be worth having a chat with your AD admin to find the exact event ID/log information you need. 

Event ID 4771 - Kerberos pre-authentication failed.
Event ID 644 - User account locked out.
Event ID 4625 - An account failed to log on. 

0 Karma

czql5v
Observer

Hi Deepak C

Thank you so much for you kind and prompt reply. It's more than appreciated.

Splunk has been setup to extract the logs and get all the needed information from AD event logs including event ID, User ID, etc, etc in order to troubleshoot any problems in ADDC such as user account lockouts etc.

The image from my previous question is from a search of the users ID and in this case it pulled eventcode 4776, basically saying the account is locked out? 

The question is how to I investigate how to get to the root cause and find out what is locking the account out.

If you are able to help that would be of great significance as I would like to get the user up and running on Monday without any further problems.

Regards.

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

If its not in the event data its difficult to say what's the root cause, Splunk only reports whats in the logs not the root cause, but that could be elsewhere in some log. That said, its normally mistyped password's, bad password, etc.

Check the Group Policy settings related to account lockout policies, password policies, and Kerberos policies with the AD admin. Ensure that these policies are configured correctly and not excessively restrictive. What about some malware or Unauthorized Access thats causing it, so it could be a number if things.

It might be worth speaking to the user and ask them to show you what they are doing, so you can see and spot any obvious mistakes, they may be doing, I have also experienced in the past, odd keyboard keys/characters / locale settings that are being used could also be the cause.

0 Karma

czql5v
Observer

Hi Deepakc,

In the details of the search in Splunk I can see that there is a logon account which I search on - also a source source workstation at least 3 different ones with the eventcode=4776 and 3 different hosts which are the Domain Controllers of the domain. 

I assume the hosts are where the user is attempting to validate credentials. Does this mean that the user is attempting to validate from different workstations and the validation will go to the nearest DC in the Domain. 

So I assume the source workstation is where the user is attempting to login from? 

Regards.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is actually a question to your Windows/AD gurus. Splunk is "just" a data processing platform. Splunk can gather data from external sources, search it, analyze, aggregate, visualize and so on but interpretation of the data and Splunk search results is up to you. You must know what the data you push into Splunk is about.

0 Karma

czql5v
Observer

Hi Deepakc,

The user is definitely not typing the wrong password. What happens is that his account gets locked out when he is actually logging in after he has been of his machine to get a cup of tea or something similar.

When you say "if its not in the event data" what do you mean by that. Where would i see event data.

I hope the above helps.

Regards.

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

Hi @czql5v 

So, what I  mean by it may be elsewhere, is say for example, a software engineer develops an authentication application, they may well log data in the log files to show why the user's log is failing along side other events.

Now for Microsoft they log a lot of events, and do they actually log why?, yes for some, example eventID 4625 is bad password and we know that, and we can look for that.

As you said its not a bad a password, so this is really a Microsoft related issue, its not Splunk. Splunk is designed to ingest logs file, as you have done via AD, and we search those logs to find information, but if that data, eventID or information is not in the log file then we can can't search for it.

May be look at some of Microsoft forums and post a question there, they may be able to help debug the issue or even tell you what eventID that is to this issue, if there is such an eventID.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...