Splunk Enterprise

Use license on two standalone instances

marco_massari11
Communicator

Hello,

I have to migrate from an old Splunk standalone instance (version 6.4) to a new one. Is it possible to use in the new instance the same license currently used in the old one in production? Is there anything I need to pay attention to?

Thank you in advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are two different aspects - technical and formal. While I could go into technical details, the most important thing is the formal one. A single license should be used once only. Either on a standalone server (which effectively acts as its own license master) or being installed on a license server to which you attach license peers which "use" the capacity granted by the license.

Since your Splunk version seems to be relatively ancient (are you sure you're not referring to Enterprise Security version? It'd still be quite old but not that old), you might however have problems connecting both your old and your new environments to the same license server. Your situation is quite unusual so I'd advise engaging your friendly local Splunk Partner - together with the Splunk Sales team they might come up with a reasonable solution for you.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are two different aspects - technical and formal. While I could go into technical details, the most important thing is the formal one. A single license should be used once only. Either on a standalone server (which effectively acts as its own license master) or being installed on a license server to which you attach license peers which "use" the capacity granted by the license.

Since your Splunk version seems to be relatively ancient (are you sure you're not referring to Enterprise Security version? It'd still be quite old but not that old), you might however have problems connecting both your old and your new environments to the same license server. Your situation is quite unusual so I'd advise engaging your friendly local Splunk Partner - together with the Splunk Sales team they might come up with a reasonable solution for you.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you can use same license on those, but only one can be active at the same time. If you need use it on both at the same time you must use license server where you put it and then both (or another one) is as license client for it. Another option is ask that Splunk support will split that license to two separate license file.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...