Splunk Enterprise

Splunk not starting with 8089

project9433
Engager

Recently I had installed splunk 6.5.1 in a new box and I wanted to configure that as Indexer instance. So that later I can include it in an Indexer cluster. Now after accepting license, splunk is not getting started. It says the management 8089 is used and do you want to change the port . I thoroughly checked with the Linux team and myself the port is not used-up, but still the Splunk is not able to start with the port 8089.

One strange observation was, immediately after I accept splunk and start it, then I get 8089 port issues pop-up. Now the very next moment, I did netstat the 8089 was shown as used up by my Deployment server. After 5 sec I did again the netstat the port was shown as unused. Though I have no setting for Depl server in my new Indexer box.

It is like stomping, the splunk tries to start using 8089 and then says it is used up(none other than splunk) and then after few min I dont see the port used anymore (splunk releases the port)

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ryanhast
Explorer

Make sure that your server is not also running a Splunk forwarder.
1. Uninstall then reinstall Splunk.

View solution in original post

hardikJsheth
Motivator

Did you make any change to any of the configurations files in Splunk before starting??

0 Karma

ryanhast
Explorer

Make sure that your server is not also running a Splunk forwarder.
1. Uninstall then reinstall Splunk.

project9433
Engager

Yes, I did realize after reading this post that there was a splunkforwarder running in the box. After I stopped it, I was able to run splunk with 8089 port. The strange thing was, the netstat did not show the port usage by forwarder. Anyways, Thanks you Ryan you rock!

0 Karma

yes i have reinstall splunk but still the Splunk is not able to start with the port 8089

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...