Splunk Enterprise

Splunk Smartstore and peers down

jariw
Path Finder

L.s.,

We are at the beginning of a migration to Smartstore. We are reading/ following Migrate existing data on an indexer cluster to SmartStore - Splunk Documentation .

One thing is worrying to us.. bullet 7 in the "Run the migration on the indexer cluster". It says "Stop all the peer nodes."... not so nice on a production cluster.

Is this really necessary? Isn't it possible to do ithis part with the deployment from the MC? So not all peers goes down at the same time (and losing data).

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Jari

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jariw,

In my experience maintenance-mode and stopping all peer nodes is not necessary.

You will already push the configuration from Cluster Manager. Before pushing new configuration, do not forget testing your new indexes.conf configuration on a standalone instance and repFactor=auto setting (as said  on item 8.a).

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

jariw
Path Finder

Thanks, this is what i was hoping for.

So the manual is in this case only for safety i suppose. Already tested it on a development environment and then questioned myself why taking the peers down.

Will continue testing.

greetz

Jari

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jariw,

In my experience maintenance-mode and stopping all peer nodes is not necessary.

You will already push the configuration from Cluster Manager. Before pushing new configuration, do not forget testing your new indexes.conf configuration on a standalone instance and repFactor=auto setting (as said  on item 8.a).

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...