Splunk Enterprise

Splunk Daily License consumption for a specifc indexers cluster

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi Splunkers, I have a doubt about License Consumption.
I'm not here to ask how to calculate daily ingestion and/or license consumption in a Splunk Envrinonment.
Community is full of topic about this and I have my search I use when no Monitor Console is configured.
The point is the following: on a LM, I have 3 different environment, each one with a set of SH, indexers and so on. The only "point of contact" is the LM itself, so, in a schematic way:

Env A (SHs, IDX cluster, others hosts) ---> LM "X"
Env B (SHs, IDX cluster, others hosts) ---> LM "X"
Env C (SHs, IDX cluster, others hosts) ---> LM "X"

Question is: what about if I have to search daily license consumption for only one of above ENVs? For example, I want calculate license consumption only for Env A.
First thing I thought: Ok, I have two options:

• Use MC
  • Use my search on _internal logs, based on license consumption data, and specify, as idx parameter, only indexes subset for desiderd ENV.

PROBLEM: ENVs have not totally different indexes. For example, index "linux_audit" is set on all 3 env. So, if I try to differentiate cluster based on their own indexes, I'm not able to do this.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can either search on each environment separately (which I assume you don't wanna do) or use the LM as a "central search head" from which you'll be able to spawn searches to each of those environments. Then you can just search specific peers.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.0/Search/Searchdistributedpeers

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...