Splunk Enterprise

Splunk App for Infrastructure: You do not have permissions to access objects of user

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

I am relatively new to Splunk Enterprise and recently started with the App for Infrastructure to monitor some CentOS 7.4 servers. Via the auto-deployment script through the "Add-Data" tab I tried to deploy the collection. This failed however, since the Splunk collectd plugin does not seem to recognize the libcurl library which resulted in error code 6, could resolve hostname although a regular curl works (adding a sample metric through HEC). 

In the end I got around this by using the old method http_write plugin. So I have now the metrics in, but it does not seem to be working natively with the infrastructure app. When opening the server in the app (it is recognized in the investigate tab), then the metrics are empty in the overview sub-tab. When I click on analyze, it states the following: "You do not have permissions to access objects of user=x". The panels give the following text: "There is no data available for cpu.system. To see data on the chart, select a different time range, edit filters, or check with your administrator about user permissions."

This seems clearly like an rights issue, because the cpu.* metrics are actually there. I have however no clue what the Infrastructure app is expecting in terms of rights / users. As far as my knowledge goes, this is all default. I am sending the data to the default em_metrics index from the Infrastructure app with sourcetype collectd_http. 

Does anybody have any idea why I get these permission messages and how I can fix this? 

Best regards,
Mark

0 Karma

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

Nobody has a clue? 

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have the roles granted to your user? There are new roles created by the Splunk app for Infrastructure app..

0 Karma

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

Hm, maybe these roles have not been created... I only see these and to me they seem the regular ones, except for aws_admin, sales and victor_ops. 

roles.PNG

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My apologies I'm getting my apps confused, no new roles exist for this app!

So the only thing I can think of is:
Is there any local files that override the default app settings?

i.e. in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_infrastructure/local

Is there anything that would override the default settings? And which Splunk version? I just tested in 7.3.3 and SAI 2.0.3

0 Karma

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

No worries. I did not change anything in the configuration files of the SAI. When you test it, did you use the Splunk plugin for contentd or the http_write plugin?

Splunk App for Infrastructure Version 2.1.0 Build 20

Splunk Enterprise Version 8.0.3 Build a6754d8441bf
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have not tried 2.1.0, only the older 2.0.x, we used the collectd standard install with minimal changes...

0 Karma

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

Also in combination with CentOS? If so, which version? Because in my case the Splunk collectd plugin reports it cannot resolve the hostname, even when it is just a regular IP and the SplunkForwarder can send log events to our Splunk.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

markalbers
Loves-to-Learn

Interesting, because I am trying to deploy it on a CentOS 7.6 & 7.4 version, so it should not differ much from that perspective. 

Do you maybe have your deploy/installation commands?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry I did not keep them! They were mostly defaults with minor changes to what the SAI app provided, note that this was all in app 2.0.x not 2.1.x, I have not tested the newest version yet...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...