Splunk Enterprise

Seeking Splunk best practices for boolean values

optsplunk
Engager

Just scanning the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/*.conf files for boolean values show a huge disparity.  "0" and "1" exceed "true/false" or "True/False" in commonality.  If linted against the .spec files, most of these would fail.  Is there person that needs to see this to get it changed and self-consistent on the default values?  The vendor defaults should be the gold standard to measure against.  Any and all comments and how I might pursue resolution are welcome. 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

I just stumbled upon this post while looking for something semi-unrelated.

FWIW: There are some instances where it must be set to "true" in the .conf files. I had an issue back in Feb where queries were not displaying length of execution in Splunk 9.0.8.  Found a KB article in Splunk support that suggested it might be caused by a setting** in limits.conf that was set to "1" instead of "true".

We changed it to "true" and that fixed it. We did a little digging with the rest API and found that it would return 1/0 for the configs, but when looking at the .confs, they were written as true/false.

**I won't reference the setting so as to not upset the Splunk Gods who may hold support contracts sacred.

0 Karma

optsplunk
Engager

Thank you for the idea... 
Idea created: EID-I-2244

meetmshah
Contributor

Perfect, I believe it would be a fair step to do this to avoid confusion for multiple stanzas / parameters. I have voted the idea 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk treats "true", "True", "TRUE", and "1" as equivalent to a Boolean True value so all of what you see in the docs is correct.  But the point is well made.  We, however, can do nothing about it.  As @meetmshah suggests, https://ideas.splunk.com is the place to bring this up.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

meetmshah
Contributor

Hello @optsplunk I would suggest you having this available as Idea under https://ideas.splunk.com/ for the Splunk Product team to look over 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...