Splunk Enterprise

How do I combine query and use the certain data from first searching in next searching?

amzar96
Explorer

Hi everyone, I am new with Splunk but I have a knowledge in SQL.

I got a new problem with my search query which is can I use the data from first searching in next searching in the same query? 

Example:

1) index=abc sourcetype="abc:scanning" status="new_scanning" | table serial_id, action

serial_id action
6577drive
8872swim

2) index=abc sourcetype="abc:viewing" status="new_viewing" | table serial_id, person_in_charge, total_person

serial_id person_in_chargetotal_person
6577Tom45
8872Giga23

may I know what is the best way to get this kind of output?

serial_id person_in_chargetotal_personaction
6577Tom45drive
8872Giga23swim

My idea is to use join or append but I do not know how to "serial_id" in the second searching.

Thanks in advance 😀

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rnowitzki
Builder

edit 10:20am:  SPL had errors, fixed it.

Hi  @amzar96,

Yes, you could join, but it's pretty slow and hungry.

This should work with join:

index=abc sourcetype="abc:scanning" status="new_scanning" 
| stats values(action) as action by serial_id
| join serial_id [search index=abc sourcetype="abc:viewing" status="new_viewing" | stats values(person_in_charge) as person_in_charge, values(total_person) as total_person by serial_id]

Compare it with:

index=abc (sourcetype="abc:scanning" status="new_scanning")  OR (sourcetype="abc:viewing" status="new_viewing")
| fields person_in_charge, total_person, action, serial_id
| stats values(*) as * by serial_id

I assume that all values are unique and only one per serial_id and that "total_person" is already calculated in the logs. If you need to sum them up you have to use sum(total_person) for example.

Hope it helps
BR
Ralph

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

View solution in original post

rnowitzki
Builder

edit 10:20am:  SPL had errors, fixed it.

Hi  @amzar96,

Yes, you could join, but it's pretty slow and hungry.

This should work with join:

index=abc sourcetype="abc:scanning" status="new_scanning" 
| stats values(action) as action by serial_id
| join serial_id [search index=abc sourcetype="abc:viewing" status="new_viewing" | stats values(person_in_charge) as person_in_charge, values(total_person) as total_person by serial_id]

Compare it with:

index=abc (sourcetype="abc:scanning" status="new_scanning")  OR (sourcetype="abc:viewing" status="new_viewing")
| fields person_in_charge, total_person, action, serial_id

I assume that all values are unique and only one per serial_id and that "total_person" is already calculated in the logs. If you need to sum them up you have to use sum(total_person) for example.

Hope it helps
BR
Ralph

--

amzar96
Explorer

Thanks @rnowitzki , you saved my life! I can run with both query. But, i didn't understand how stats work.

what meant by this above query? 

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi  @amzar96,

Glad I could help.

To explain this one:

| stats values(*) as * 

values(*) runs the values() command on all available fields which we limited in the lines above to just the ones we need.

as * ist just cosmetic.  values() changes all field names to be e.g. values(total_person), and with as * we change them back to the initial name, total_person e.g.
Try to run | stats values(total_person)by serial_id and you will see what I mean.

Cheers
Ralph

--
0 Karma

amzar96
Explorer

Understand @rnowitzki . However, I can't retrieve any data from the second search (2nd table). when I query, it give me blank row.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @amzar96 ,

Sorry, I missed your question last week.

Can you please give more detail, you don't get any data for which query? 

Thanks 
Ralph

--
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...