Splunk Enterprise

Forwarder Ingestion Latency Issue Losing Logs?

daniaabujuma
Explorer

Hi everyone, I have implemented Splunk for my architecture at work, to give you an insight, the architecture is pretty big, consisting of 3 sites. So, I have 3 heavy forwarders in total (1 for each site), and 2 indexers. The alert (forwarder ingestion latency) is showing on all the HFs and the 2 indexers. I have reviewed all the recommendations that were given by the community as well as Splunk documentation, with no luck. The issue is that now some logs are being lost because of this issue. I have increased the queue size on all servers up to 100MB and turned ACK off. Still, I am facing issues. Does anyone have any recommendation that might be useful?

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Latency on its own will not cause event loss. It only shows the delay in processing. It can however be a symptom of a bigger underlying problem.

Inflating queues will only help you if you have spikes in data flow. It won't help if the indexers can't keep up with the ingested data.

What is your ingest rate? What is your indexers' spec? Do these HFs work as intermediate forwarders? Do you experience data loss from all sources or only some of them? How are your limits.conf configured on each component? There are so many questions to answer here.

And 2 indexers is not that "big" so if your environment is indeed big, you might as @richgalloway suggested need to scale up.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you seeing queueing in the HFs or indexers?  Which queues in the indexer are empty?  That will tell us where the delay is coming from.

Can you add indexers?  Two may not be enough to support 3 sites, depending on the volume (which is what, BTW?).

Consider adding another HF to each site for redundancy.  Why HFs instead of UFs?  You'll get better performance with UFs.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...