Splunk Enterprise

Do CM and SH manage two different user scheme?

chenyt
Explorer

Hi, 

I just install a new cluster with 3SH and 3IDX and 1CM.

I login to CM from WebUI as admin to change password and create users, roles.

Then I try to use the new password to login from SH WebUI as admin, but fail, then I try the old password , succeed. Then I found the users and roles I created on CM WebUI are not list in SH.

Do CM and SH manage two different user scheme? I can't find this information in document, can anyone point me the right way? Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Cluster Manager controls your indexer cluster only.  It has no control over search heads.

There is no need for users and roles to be configured on indexers and the only user the CM needs is admin.

To configure users and roles in a SHC, just sign in to a search head and configure them.  The cluster will replicate the new users to other members automatically.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

chenyt
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I did read that part CM controls Indexers and Deployer controls SH in the documents, but I didn't realize that I need to manage different user schemes.

Thanks for answer the question. Have a nice day.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Cluster Manager controls your indexer cluster only.  It has no control over search heads.

There is no need for users and roles to be configured on indexers and the only user the CM needs is admin.

To configure users and roles in a SHC, just sign in to a search head and configure them.  The cluster will replicate the new users to other members automatically.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...