Splunk Enterprise

Archive Raw Received Data?

Bob_Diepenbrock
Observer

I am new to administrating Splunk Enterprise Server. I'm guessing the answer is obvious to some, but I'm getting confused trying to figure out a solution from the documentation.

We are using Splunk Enterprise Server v 9.2.1 stand-alone on an isolated network. We primarily collect and report on multiple systems' audit logging.  The server is set up and I can see ingested logs arriving and create reports on the data. But I need one more thing.

I must archive all the original data exactly as it is received on the TCP receiver and copy it to offline storage for safe keeping.

I need to be able to re-ingest the raw data at some future date, but that seems pretty straightforward.

How can I do this?  Is there some way I can grab the data being received on my TCP port listener in RAW form or some magic I need to do with some indexer or forwarder->Receiver string?  

I'm sure I'm not the first person to need this... How do others accomplish this stuff?

Thank You!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Splunk has designed to archive data from buckets, not from collection phase. If you are running on AWS then you could try to archive data before it’s indexed by ingest action, but I think that you are running it in on premise? 
The best option is use archive script in indexes.conf for archiving buckets. If this is not an option to you, then you have two option.

1. setup some props + transforms.conf files to duplicate that data e.g. to syslog server and use it to store and archive it. But as splunk use UDP to send syslog feed, you will lose some events time by time.
  2. Use some other tool to collect and archive those events and send those also to splunk by that tool

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...