Splunk Enterprise Security

data on indexers disappeared

gitingua
Communicator

I have about 10 indexers, a cluster. For some reason my "master node" turned off and when it turned on. my data has disappeared. there were 18 million data, and it became 9 million for what reason could this happen? I can't find anything in the logs. HELP PLS

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Indexer clusters can continue to function without a Manager Node/Cluster Manager so nothing should have happened to your cluster while the MN/CM was off.

Please tell us more about the problem.  How long was the MN off?  How did you discover your data had "disappeared"?  Where there any changes on the MN or indexers while the MN was off?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gitingua
Communicator

@richgalloway. Hello ! Thanks for answering. 

SH shows how much data is total and after the master has been turned off and on. I saw that the data was missing 2 times.

I got a message now

Search peer SH has the following message: Now skipping indexing of internal audit events, because the downstream queue is not accepting data. Will keep dropping events until data flow resumes. Review system health: ensure downstream indexing and/or forwarding are operating correctly.

the problem arose after switching off and on the MN

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't trust the Data Summary, but that error message is very telling.  Have you reviewed the system health?  There should be a red dot in the menu bar.  Clicking it will bring up the system health dashboard.  Click on other red icons to get details.  Also, use the Monitoring Console to check on the indexer queues.  Verify the storage system is healthy, too.

---
0 Karma

gitingua
Communicator

@richgalloway  how to check the storage system?) Thanks 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ideally, it would be sending its logs and metrics to Splunk so would you just need to craft a query to check the state of the storage system.  The details are specific to your environment.

Failing that, you can talk to the admin of the storage system.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...