Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA: Will dropping "Built" events have any impact on Splunk Enterprise Security dashboards?

phoenixdigital
Builder

Hi All,

Just getting the community consensus here. Cisco ASA log events for Built and Teardown essentially contain the same information
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/116149-q...

The Cisco ASA TA does the following for each type of event
Built

1. Extracts standard fields
  2. Extracts direction
  3. swaps around src and dest fields for Outbound connections

Teardown

1. Extracts standard fields
  2. Extracts bytes and duration

Now, is direction really that relevant as it can be inferred from the src and dest fields?

The rest of the fields are pretty much replicated between the two types of events.

Which brings me to my main question: Will dropping "Built" events have any impact on Splunk Enterprise Security dashboards?

It would essentially halve the traffic ingested into Splunk for the firewall.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To answer this question, you can use Search -> Pivot to look at the data models in question. Network Traffic and maybe Network Sessions are the most likely to be interesting. Limit to the sourcetypes in question and a reasonable timeframe, then add the fields you're concerned about. If it shows up in a data model, then ES cares about it. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...