Splunk Enterprise Security

In Splunk Enterprise Security, how do you rename the auto-discovered fields?

arlombar
Explorer

Is it possible to rename auto-discovered fields? I can't seem to find a way to do this. I tried adding events to a datamodel and then renaming the auto-extracted events, but this does not seem to actually change the field name (not sure what the point of the display name is really). Has anyone found a workaround for this? And no I am not trying to perform a rename on every search and I would rather not manually extract each field from the JSON events I am trying to parse.

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

You would need to create an alias for each field you want to rename:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/Knowledge/Configurefieldaliaseswithprops.conf

This will result in two fields, one with the original name and one with the new name.
You can then just use the new field name, and ignore the old field name.

If you want to drop the old field name so it doesn't show up at all, then you would need to create a full parsing of the events to extract the fields with the field names you want...and turn OFF auto-extraction for this data source.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...