Splunk Enterprise Security

How to troubleshoot unknown role warnings for 'ess_analyst' in Splunkd.log, even after uninstalling the Splunk App for Enterprise Security?

jravida
Communicator

Hi folks,

I seem to have the remnants of a role, being called up, and failing to exist. The role is related to the Enterprise Security app, 'ess_analyst', although the app has been since uninstalled. The splunkd.log only says:
WARN AuthroizationManager - Unknown role 'ess_analyst'
It says this thousands of times, crowding out the important logs as they just roll over.
The role doesn't exist at all when I check my roles. I'm not sure where else to look, as the error is vague.

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd start by grepping through $SPLUNK_HOME/etc for files that contain ess_analyst.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd start by grepping through $SPLUNK_HOME/etc for files that contain ess_analyst.

jravida
Communicator

Good call! The string showed up in authorize.conf, as an inherited role for a new one someone had made. I went back to the GUI, and brought up the new role, didn't see 'ess_analyst'. I added and removed the user role, and saved. Went back to splunkd.log and the WARN has stopped! Check authorize.conf, role is gone! Ghosts of roles past, I guess. I hope I don't get visited by 2 more before Chiristmas, because I have places to go.

martaBenedetti
Path Finder

Worked for me, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...