Splunk Enterprise Security

How to make Stream logs CIM compliant

akhalfan
Engager

I've used Splunk Stream app to get DNS logs from a Windows DNS server. I got the logs to a Search Head instance that has the Enterprise Security app. However, I can't seem to the data, which is in json format CIM compliant.

Below is a sample message raw log:

What would be the best way to make the query field CIM compliant with the query field in the DNS as mentioned here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.15.0/User/NetworkResolutionDNS
{"endtime":"2020-03-04T16:13:55.892181Z","timestamp":"2020-03-04T16:13:55.886950Z","bytes":237,"bytes_in":35,"bytes_out":202,"dest_ip":"8.8.8.8","dest_mac":"00:15:5D:FA:54:6B","dest_port":53,"flow_id":"d53fcb9a-ea29-4761-ac1a-de6ca66d31e4","host_addr":["104.115.41.252"],"hostname":["www.microsoft.com-c-3.edgekey.net","www.microsoft.com-c-3.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net","e1367...}

0 Karma
1 Solution

zacharychristen
Path Finder

The Splunk Stream Add-on automatically extracts the query field.

Run the following search in your dns index and verify that the "dns, network, and resolution" tags appear:

index=<YOUR DNS INDEX> sourcetype="stream:dns" | stats count by tag

If not, verify that you have the Splunk Stream Add-on installed: Navigate to Apps > Manage apps. The Splunk Stream Add-on is in the same packaged app as the Splunk Stream app but sometimes the add-on does not properly install.

If you have the Add-on installed and the tags are showing up, verify that you have your DNS index whitelisted in the CIM setup. This can be done in Enterprise Security by Navigating to Configure > CIM Setup. Click the Network Resolution Data Model and verify the DNS index is whitelisted.

View solution in original post

zacharychristen
Path Finder

The Splunk Stream Add-on automatically extracts the query field.

Run the following search in your dns index and verify that the "dns, network, and resolution" tags appear:

index=<YOUR DNS INDEX> sourcetype="stream:dns" | stats count by tag

If not, verify that you have the Splunk Stream Add-on installed: Navigate to Apps > Manage apps. The Splunk Stream Add-on is in the same packaged app as the Splunk Stream app but sometimes the add-on does not properly install.

If you have the Add-on installed and the tags are showing up, verify that you have your DNS index whitelisted in the CIM setup. This can be done in Enterprise Security by Navigating to Configure > CIM Setup. Click the Network Resolution Data Model and verify the DNS index is whitelisted.

mokuso
Explorer

I had a similar issue. The results of the above query only returned the "communicate" and "network" tags. 

It appears that the default/eventtypes.conf is ignoring "stream:Splunk_*" which excludes  "stream:Splunk_DNS*" events:

[stream_dns]
search = sourcetype=stream:dns NOT source=stream:Splunk_*

I added the following to local/eventtypes.conf  and it resolved the issue:

[stream_dns]
search = sourcetype=stream:dns

Now the dns events return all 4 tags: communicate, dns, network, resolution

0 Karma

akhalfan
Engager

For this query
index= sourcetype="stream:dns" | stats count by tag
only the DNS tag appears (makes sense since it is the only one I actually tagged in the event types.

The index is whitelisted. However, I noticed that the following searh:

index=<dns_index> datamodel=Network_Resolution.DNS  where DNS.message_type=QUERY

I get "no results found"

0 Karma

zacharychristen
Path Finder

When you look at your installed apps do you see the Splunk Stream Add-on or do you just see the App?

0 Karma

akhalfan
Engager

installing the add-on fixed it, I don't need to install the app
thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...