Splunk Cloud Platform

Is it just me or does Splunk cloud seems kind of terrible.

canhasldap

People that have been on cloud for a while what was your onboarding like and how difficult is it to add new products? I got my trial account to see what the product can do and basically so far the answer is "nothing".

I get that its a trial but I literally can do nothing with it beside login and look around. I installed the addons I was interested in which was the reason for the trial but that is pointless because you have to restart some services that i don't have access to. Since it's a trial I'm not entitled to support portal to ask for this so I called and I get a loop between it being a trial to press this for support and that is really sales who sends me back to support.

I tried setting up the universal forwarder because I can't just point logs at the cloud instance for some reason and those instructions are so convoluted and link to each other in this nested way I feel like I'm dealing with Nvidia GRID. So I go online looking for some instructions from 3rd parties and I got to say no one appears to use Splunk cloud and honestly I understand why. They have way more control and don't need to use the universal forwarders.  I though the cloud would be simple, there is nothing to install but if i don't have a way to restart my instance and its a requirement. I emailed support pleading my case and i managed to get the forwarder installed but I have no way to check this. Honestly the product looks really promising and has a learning curve which i expect and would find my way around but i don't think cloud is going to be a good fit.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Rams01
Engager

It may seem limited because its a trial but you seriously have to open a ticket for just about anything you want to do in splunk cloud, this includes installing an app which sometimes takes 2 days to close out. 
but whatever you do… do not let anyone tell you moving to their SVC workload price model is a great idea and will result in no more license restraints. 
They’ve essentially tricked me and my org into now managing our own environment and micro manage our virtual cpus and also harp on users who have poor search habits. 
Ive gone back to an on prem model without any of the admin benefits and capabilities of an on prem environment. 
oh and we’ve saved splunk a ton of money in regards to AWS virtual cpus. 

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @canhasldap
Question - People that have been on cloud for a while what was your onboarding like and how difficult is it to add new products? I got my trial account to see what the product can do and basically so far the answer is "nothing".

Answer - i think the basic difference between on-premise vs cloud are bit difficult for to understand the regular onprim users. i have seen/heard many complaining similar to you. 

Question - I get that its a trial but I literally can do nothing with it beside login and look around. I installed the addons I was interested in which was the reason for the trial but that is pointless because you have to restart some services that i don't have access to.

Answer - once again the onprimise customers generally wish to have "complete" control, whereas, the cloud customers will "limited" control.

Question - Since it's a trial I'm not entitled to support portal to ask for this so I called and I get a loop between it being a trial to press this for support and that is really sales who sends me back to support. 

Answer - at times this happen and most of the times i have received pretty good support from Splunk Cloud. so, you might try to reach out to them few more times.

Question - I tried setting up the universal forwarder because I can't just point logs at the cloud instance for some reason and those instructions are so convoluted and link to each other in this nested way I feel like I'm dealing with Nvidia GRID. So I go online looking for some instructions from 3rd parties and I got to say no one appears to use Splunk cloud and honestly I understand why.

Answer - Nvidia GRID logs onboarding to Splunk... hmm, thats a pretty new area for Splunk. 

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/apps/#/search/nvidia/product/all

you can see that there are no apps for nvidia itself. 

Rest assured, i hope you will have good learning curve with Splunk Cloud, let us know if you have more questions, thanks. 

Best Regards,

Sekar

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...