Security

Splunk add role

asarolkar
Builder

I want to create a user with more privileges (Capabilities) than a power role but less than an admin role.

If you go to Manager > Access roles > Roles, you can create a new role and configure it as you wish.

There are several ways to go about it from a sysadmin point of view.

1. You first define a new role under Selected roles and call it admin_lite.

2. Im unsure of the approach to take to configure this new role :

The first approach says I do not need the new role to inherit admin, power or user.

The second approach says I inherit power and NOT add any capabilities on top of that.

Is it necessary for us to define an inheritance when creating a new role ? Inheritance merely gives you a set of capabilities and you cannot add new capabilities outside of what is CUSTOM to the "power" or the "user" inheritance.

Q. What are the advantages to picking an inheritance / or just not picking one ? How would you set "inheritance" and "capabilities" ?

This is a best practices question. Because of the nature of this hybrid role, which we want to custom-define, we need to understand how inheritance/capabilities work.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First, if you modify the "lower" role from which you inherit, your new role will inherit the changes automatically. This would not be the case if you create one from scratch. Second, inheriting a role inherits "allowed indexes" as well as the capabilities.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...