Security

I've lost my splunk admin password, can it be recovered?

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My dog ate my splunk admin password. Can I recover it?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Lionel
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To reset the admin password you will need to have access to the file system: - move the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file to passwd.bak - restart splunk. After the restart you should be able to login using the default login (admin/changeme).

If you created other user accounts, copy those entries from the backup file into the new passwd file and restart splunk.

It is already answered here:

View solution in original post

Lionel
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To reset the admin password you will need to have access to the file system: - move the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file to passwd.bak - restart splunk. After the restart you should be able to login using the default login (admin/changeme).

If you created other user accounts, copy those entries from the backup file into the new passwd file and restart splunk.

It is already answered here:

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

oops! Perhaps mine should be deleted then.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...