Security

I've lost my splunk admin password, can it be recovered?

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My dog ate my splunk admin password. Can I recover it?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Lionel
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To reset the admin password you will need to have access to the file system: - move the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file to passwd.bak - restart splunk. After the restart you should be able to login using the default login (admin/changeme).

If you created other user accounts, copy those entries from the backup file into the new passwd file and restart splunk.

It is already answered here:

View solution in original post

Lionel
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To reset the admin password you will need to have access to the file system: - move the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file to passwd.bak - restart splunk. After the restart you should be able to login using the default login (admin/changeme).

If you created other user accounts, copy those entries from the backup file into the new passwd file and restart splunk.

It is already answered here:

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

oops! Perhaps mine should be deleted then.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...