Security

How do I remove an LDAP user from a search head cluster?

davebo1896
Communicator

I'm getting errors from a user that was removed from LDAP, how do I remove the user from the Search Head Cluster?
Note: splunk remove user does not work

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If the user is removed from LDAP, then user doesn't exist in Splunk (hence the CLI command remove user won't work). The error that you're seeing is for the Splunk knowledge objects (searches/dashboards/macros etc) owned by that deleted user. To fix the errors, you would need to
1. Delete those objects (if they are no longer needed)
2. Change the ownership to a different person (same team member/replacement)
3. Change the ownership to nobody (you would need to update the scope from private to this app.

Steps on changing owner ship
For objects shared in app/global
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/52605/how-do-i-change-the-owner-of-a-saved-search.html

For Private objects, just move/copy/merge the content to appropriate etc/users/userName folder.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If the user is removed from LDAP, then user doesn't exist in Splunk (hence the CLI command remove user won't work). The error that you're seeing is for the Splunk knowledge objects (searches/dashboards/macros etc) owned by that deleted user. To fix the errors, you would need to
1. Delete those objects (if they are no longer needed)
2. Change the ownership to a different person (same team member/replacement)
3. Change the ownership to nobody (you would need to update the scope from private to this app.

Steps on changing owner ship
For objects shared in app/global
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/52605/how-do-i-change-the-owner-of-a-saved-search.html

For Private objects, just move/copy/merge the content to appropriate etc/users/userName folder.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...