Reporting

Why are only some events collected in an index when a report runs with the collect command?

syx093
Communicator

I am new to splunk so please forgive me if my terminology is off. I have a report that runs every minute. In the search of that report, I end it with the following command.

|collect index=cactus_summary

This should collect the results from that search and create as an event. Then I should be able to access events from that search. However, when I search for index=cactus_summary I only see only some of those events. For example, if I schedule the report to run every minute and I wait 15 minutes, I should be able to see 15 events when I search for index=cactus_summary. However, I see 5-7 events all occurring at different increments of minutes (e.g. event 1 occurs at 3:30, event 2 occurs at 3.33, event 3 occurs at 3:43).

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

Hello! I don't know how is your search query, but notice that, schedule the report to run every minutedoes not means, you will get 1 event per minute. Just because,

1. Based on the search criteria, you could have situations where none events are collected into your new index. For example a search like this: index=_internal "error"|collect index=error_index , will send events into error_index, only when the word "error" is found in the _internal index.
  2. The search takes some time to run before provide events, depending of the complexity of your query, and your computer performances. Means, a search can take more than 1 minute to run, before provide the first event.

Thanks

SGF
0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

I looked at my query and I don't think it's excluding events based on events not matching certain criteria. So it must be the performance of the computer. I ran the query and it takes at least 10 seconds to run and I don't think a 10 second search will cause some events not to show. Thanks anyways. I think I will create a dashboard with just the original search and not try to be fancy.

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

Hello! Can i see all your search query?

SGF
0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

host=schroeder index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=udpub |dedup PID|stats count AS udpub_cnt by host

|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=aimglog |dedup PID|stats count AS aimglog_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=bimglog|dedup PID|stats count AS bimglog_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=smm |dedup PID|stats count AS smm_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=sm |dedup PID|stats count AS sm_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=sbcs |dedup PID|stats count AS sbcs_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=syncd "_"|dedup PID|stats count AS syncd_cnt by host]
|appendcols [ search host=schroeder earliest=-2m index=os sourcetype=ps COMMAND=cleanupd |dedup PID|stats count AS cleanupd_cnt by host]

| eval udpub_status=case(udpub_cnt==8,"OK",udpub_cnt!=8,"NOT OK")
| eval smm_status=case(smm_cnt==1,"OK",smm_cnt!=1,"NOT OK")
|eval sm_status=case(sm_cnt==1,"OK",sm_cnt!=1,"NOT OK")

| eval sbcs_status=case(sbcs_cnt==1,"OK",sbcs_cnt!=1,"NOT OK")
|eval syncd_status=case(syncd_cnt==2,"OK",syncd_cnt!=2,"NOT OK")
| eval cleanupd_status=case(cleanupd_cnt==1,"OK",cleanupd_cnt!=1,"NOT OK")
| eval aimglog_status=case(aimglog_cnt==4,"OK",aimglog_cnt!=4,"NOT OK")
| eval bimglog_status=case(bimglog_cnt==4,"OK",bimglog_cnt!=4,"NOT OK")
|fields host *status *cnt |collect index=cactus_summary

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...