Reporting

We can't see events older than a day in Splunk

gba8912
Explorer

hello,

We recently set up Splunk on our system so we are still learning. We have an issue where we are not getting older events in searches. For example: Event id 4625 (failed logon), we can see the event on the same day it happens but the next day, it will not show up. 

A few things I have tried:

1. removed the ignore older that 2d line in the inputs.conf file.

2. checked to make sure we are not over on bucket size.

Any suggestions on configuring this correctly? I can post config info if requested.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The settings in inputs.conf have no effect on the ability to search already-indexed data.  It only controls what Splunk reads in.

What is the exact search are you trying?  Have you selected a time window larger than 24 hours?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The settings in inputs.conf have no effect on the ability to search already-indexed data.  It only controls what Splunk reads in.

What is the exact search are you trying?  Have you selected a time window larger than 24 hours?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

gba8912
Explorer

thats what i was missing, thanks. guess its one of those days where i forget basic stuff...lol

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...