Monitoring Splunk

License Usage doesn't show after 30 days

jshill103

My manager asked me to get him license usage for the last year to show growth and justify an upgrade.

I get data for the past 30 days but nothing after that.

Any tips?

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @jshill103,

That's normal because the default frozenTimePeriodInSecs for the _internal index is 30 days which means the maximum you can go back and search there is 30 days, anything older than that gets archived or deleted if you don't have an archiving policy.

You can find that configuration here $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/indexes.conf, under the [_internal] stanza.

You can increase that limit if needed but it won't bring back the older data.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

You can use _internal index to search on license usage like below, do a timechart based on idx or st and give the time range as what you need

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...