Knowledge Management

What is the best way to keep learning Splunk even if you are not working on it day in day out?

macadminrohit
Contributor

Recently my project has changed which is totally different than what i have been doing (Splunking). But since i love Splunk so much i don't want to lose it as a skillset, considering the fact that it is one of the hottest technology out there. My question is to ask experts, what they recommend one of the best way to keep in touch with Splunk.

What I have been doing till now:
1) Installed Splunk N box on my macbook, and keep learning clustering stuff every other day.
2) Following the forum( answers.splunk.com)
3) Reading a book that I recently bought.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, defiantly don't want to lose the Splunk skills. You should do a side project of what interests you. If your into crypto, stocks, trading etc.. then you could start onboarding publicly available data from RSS feeds/API's and identify trends and perhaps make a quick buck off it. Do tons of side projects which you can showcase for future interviews!

dsctm3
Path Finder

Do tons of side projects <--- This x100.

I've always learned more when applying tools from the office at home. I've home-labbed throughout my career to figure out things I was interested in and/or just needed to know more about.

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Exactly. If your company isn't giving you the keys to the kingdom then you need to create your own to stay relevant within the Splunk world

macadminrohit
Contributor

Any ideas on the Side Project ?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah I just gave 3 examples.. You need to first identify what you're interested in. Let's use my interests since I don't know yours.. I'm interested in stocks and trading. One of my side projects is identifying under valued stocks and correlating market sentiment to get bargain deals. You could even take this one step further and create an automated trading platform based off the logic you create.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

4.) Join Splunk Slack : http://splk.it/slack
5.) Keep up to date with the Splunk Blogs: https://www.splunk.com/blog

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...