Knowledge Management

How to find duplicate windows user names

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

Hello all, I'm trying to think of a way to search for instances where a duplicate user account/name has been generated by an admin, so say user john123 was made on Monday, then another user john123 was made a month later. This is Splunk Enterprise 6.4 using the active directory plugin. We currently make a lookup table of user names, so I suppose step one would be to call on that table, but what would the string be to ask to show duplicates, or duplicate user names with different SIDs etc?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello ShaunBaker,
here is a suggestion for solution without your lookup, if you ask, how can i know all the users already active? an example code based first solution is all the way down.
if AD data is parsed right using the add-on, you can search for EventCode=4720 user account was created described here:
https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventID=4720
fields supposed to be extracted already.
from the top of my head there is src_user field which stands for who created the account and user field for the name of account that was created.
i believe an account is created once per user name and therefore a specific event is generated for each account.
search ... | stats count by user | where count >1
that will give you duplicates.
plenty of it is already built in the Splunk app for windows infrastructure
Assuming you are still going with the lookup route, I assumed there is a field called user in the lookup, if not, either change the field name or change the search:

index = <index> sourcetype=<sourcetpye>  EventCode= 4720 user=*  
| dedup user 
| eval active_user="T"
| append [ inputlookup <yourLookupFile.csv | eval active_user="F" ]
| stats count(eval(active_user=="F")) as active by user
| where active==1

this will give you a list of new accounts (in the time period you searched) that do not appear in the lookup
this solution relies on one by @lguinn

hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello ShaunBaker,
here is a suggestion for solution without your lookup, if you ask, how can i know all the users already active? an example code based first solution is all the way down.
if AD data is parsed right using the add-on, you can search for EventCode=4720 user account was created described here:
https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventID=4720
fields supposed to be extracted already.
from the top of my head there is src_user field which stands for who created the account and user field for the name of account that was created.
i believe an account is created once per user name and therefore a specific event is generated for each account.
search ... | stats count by user | where count >1
that will give you duplicates.
plenty of it is already built in the Splunk app for windows infrastructure
Assuming you are still going with the lookup route, I assumed there is a field called user in the lookup, if not, either change the field name or change the search:

index = <index> sourcetype=<sourcetpye>  EventCode= 4720 user=*  
| dedup user 
| eval active_user="T"
| append [ inputlookup <yourLookupFile.csv | eval active_user="F" ]
| stats count(eval(active_user=="F")) as active by user
| where active==1

this will give you a list of new accounts (in the time period you searched) that do not appear in the lookup
this solution relies on one by @lguinn

hope it helps

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Assuming your lookup table is called mylookupname, and the fields are username and SID...

| inputlookup mylookupname | stats count username values(SID) as SID | where mvcount(SID)>1
0 Karma

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

The table did not have SID and ldap attributes does not seem to support it, but to test I tried-

inputlookup -mytablenamehere- | stats count DisplayName values(sAMAccountName) as sAMAccountName | where mvcount (sAMAccountName)>1

and get "Error in 'stats' command. The argument 'DisplayName' is invalid. But DisplayName is in the lookup table csv. When I use

inputlookup -mytablenamehere- | stats count values(sAMAccountName) as sAMAccountName | where mvcount (sAMAccountName)>1

I don't get any errors, but when I change it to <1, or =1 I still get no results (figure =1 would give me all the users found in the lookup).

0 Karma

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

Awesome, I'll try it out, pretty sure there is a SID field, or can go off of the samaccountname that I know for sure has a field.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...