Installation

upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.1 in OS X 10.5.8

splunkbox
Engager

After upgrading from 4.0.x (I don't exactly remember the version) to 4.1 in OS X 10.5.8 I get the following log

/Applications/Splunk/bin/splunk start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 18, in 
    import control_api as ca
  File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/clilib/control_api.py", line 26, in 
    import i18n
  File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/clilib/i18n.py", line 7, in 
    from babel.messages import frontend
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/messages/__init__.py", line 16, in 
    from babel.messages.catalog import *
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/messages/catalog.py", line 30, in 
    from babel.dates import format_datetime
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/dates.py", line 28, in 
    from babel.numbers import get_decimal_symbol
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/numbers.py", line 41, in 
    LC_NUMERIC = default_locale('LC_NUMERIC')
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/core.py", line 642, in default_locale
    return '_'.join(filter(None, parse_locale(locale)))
  File "/Applications/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/babel/core.py", line 763, in parse_locale
    raise ValueError('expected only letters, got %r' % lang)
ValueError: expected only letters, got 'utf-8'

and can't start Splunk anymore.

Tags (2)
2 Solutions

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try setting:

export LC_CTYPE=

before

/Applications/Splunk/bin/splunk start

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This problem existed in 4.0.x also, not sure why you didn't see it. I suspect you updated OS X, since Apple didn't use this (ridiculous) LC_CTYPE in older versions.

It's defect SPL-28896 in Splunk, and it looks like there's some process goofiness that it hasn't been addressed yet. Pinging appropriate parties.

gkanapathy's workaround is viable, though I'd instead suggest:

unset LC_CTYPE

Alternatively you can choose a generally accepted locale string, such as en_US.utf-8, eg

export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf-8

View solution in original post

splunkbox
Engager

As per gkanapathy's workaround I added LC_CTYPE= to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk-launch.conf It should also work unset LC_CTYPE Thanks jrodman for pointing the defect info.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This problem existed in 4.0.x also, not sure why you didn't see it. I suspect you updated OS X, since Apple didn't use this (ridiculous) LC_CTYPE in older versions.

It's defect SPL-28896 in Splunk, and it looks like there's some process goofiness that it hasn't been addressed yet. Pinging appropriate parties.

gkanapathy's workaround is viable, though I'd instead suggest:

unset LC_CTYPE

Alternatively you can choose a generally accepted locale string, such as en_US.utf-8, eg

export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf-8

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try setting:

export LC_CTYPE=

before

/Applications/Splunk/bin/splunk start

View solution in original post

.conf21 Now Fully Virtual!
Register for FREE Today!

We've made .conf21 totally virtual and totally FREE! Our completely online experience will run from 10/19 through 10/20 with some additional events, too!