Installation

Reinstall Splunk Universal Forwarder

hectorvp
Communicator

Hi Splunkers,

I need to uninstall existing UF and re install new UF (sounds weird, but I have such case) without allowing to re index  past data again?

Is this possible?

Need to run new UF as if it wasn't installed newly but is the same one, care of conf files can be taken.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please describe the problem you're trying to solve by re-installing the UF.

In theory, it should be possible to retain the file positions by the saving the fishbucket, but I'm not sure if a freshly-installed UF would be confused by that.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

hectorvp
Communicator

Hi @richgalloway ,

We need to take a control over existing prod servers where UFs are installed by certain vendor, since vendor has been decommissioned, we are told to reinstall UF by uninstalling previous one(with new admin pwd and forwarder license), but since indexers are going to be same and nothing is going to be changed in indexers, there is possibility of getting events reindexed.  Need to avoid it. Reusing same UF may cause forwarder license owning issue.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no such thing as a "forwarder license owning issue".  All universal forwarders have the same license, which has no ownership (except perhaps by Splunk).

Changing the admin password is a good idea.  Good instructions for resetting the password can be found at https://www.hurricanelabs.com/splunk-tutorials/splunk-7-1-performing-a-splunk-password-reset

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...