Installation

Navigation menu dropdown default.xml migration to Splunk 6

aaronkorn
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello,

Is there any documentation out there on migration to Splunk 6 regarding nav menus and the default.xml file? We have numerous dashboards grouped into different match categories that didn't seem to be grouped in our dev environment after going from 5 to 6.

0 Karma
1 Solution

gmor
Explorer

Hi,

I've also been looking at this and it is possible.

Assuming that you're working with the 'Search' app, you can take most of what is in:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/nav/default.xml

in Splunk 5 and use it with Splunk 6, by creating a similar file in the same location.

For example, we use the <collection> tag to group Dashboards together.

So the 'default' default.xml for the Search App looks like this:

<nav search_view="search" color="#65A637">
  <view name="search" default='true' />
  <view name="data_models" />
  <view name="reports" />
  <view name="alerts" />
  <view name="dashboards" />
</nav>

You could change this to include all your dashboards by doing:

<view name="reports" />
  <view name="alerts" />
  <collection label="Dashboards" >
    <divider />
    <view source="unclassified" />
  </collection>
</nav>

If you've worked with <collection> tag in Splunk 5, you should be able to do the same in Splunk 6. You can use the 'match="xxx"' to create dynamic menus, as described here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/AdvancedDev/BuildNavigation

One slight downside with this in Splunk 6, is that the drop-down menus have a maximum height, so you then have to scroll inside them. You could probably fix this by hacking away at the .css, but this seems a bit overkill.

Hopefully the UI people at Splunk will see the value in having drop-down menus without internal scroll bars. Please just make it work like Splunk 5!

Cheers,

Graham

View solution in original post

gmor
Explorer

Hi,

With regard to 'aaronkorn's comment above...

I haven't found a successful way of changing the height, but you could play around with the "max-height:" variable in ".dropdown-menu ul":

/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/css/bootstrap.min.css

I changed it to 1000px, which works up to a point, but breaks other menus, as the element is used elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend it.

This is the full line in that file if you want to search for it.

.dropdown-menu ul{list-style:none;margin:0;border:1px solid #a9a9a9;border-bottom-color:#909090;border-top-color:#b6b6b6;-webkit-border-radius:4px;-moz-border-radius:4px;border-radius:4px;background-color:#ffffff;*zoom:1;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:auto;*position:relative;max-width:100%;max-height:270px;box-sizing:border-box;}.dropdown-menu ul:before,.dropdown-menu ul:after{display:table;content:"";line-height:0;}
0 Karma

gmor
Explorer

Hi,

I've also been looking at this and it is possible.

Assuming that you're working with the 'Search' app, you can take most of what is in:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/nav/default.xml

in Splunk 5 and use it with Splunk 6, by creating a similar file in the same location.

For example, we use the <collection> tag to group Dashboards together.

So the 'default' default.xml for the Search App looks like this:

<view name="reports" />
  <view name="alerts" />
</nav>

You could change this to include all your dashboards by doing:

<view name="reports" />
  <view name="alerts" />
  <collection label="Dashboards" >
    <divider />
    <view source="unclassified" />
  </collection>
</nav>

If you've worked with <collection> tag in Splunk 5, you should be able to do the same in Splunk 6. You can use the 'match="xxx"' to create dynamic menus, as described here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/AdvancedDev/BuildNavigation

One slight downside with this in Splunk 6, is that the drop-down menus have a maximum height, so you then have to scroll inside them. You could probably fix this by hacking away at the .css, but this seems a bit overkill.

Hopefully the UI people at Splunk will see the value in having drop-down menus without internal scroll bars. Please just make it work like Splunk 5!

Cheers,

Graham

aaronkorn
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Perfect. Just what I needed! Any idea which stylesheet sets the height of the drop down?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a Changes for Splunk app developers topic in the upgrade chapter of the Installation Manual. I don't see your specific issue there, though, unless you have JavaScript in your default.xml file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...