Installation

Licensing question

oleg106
Explorer

Are subscription and perpetual licenses compatible i.e. can the live on the same license server?

Also, is it possible to for an indexer to pull from 2 difference license servers?  This is the scenario.  There is a large pool of indexes drawing from a subscription license.  Our team wants to use the Splunk infrastructure with our own legacy perpetual license.  What is the best way to do it without spinning up a new environment?  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oleg106,

sorry I forgot the second part of your question!

So, no it's possible to configure only one License Master for each Indexer, but you can set different License Master for different Indexers.

Anyway, the best practice is to have only one License Master that has all the licenses of your pools, in this way you can easily manage your licenses and your pools.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oleg106,

you can have on the same License Master both perpetual licenses and subscriptions, there isn't any technical problem.

The's only a management issue: you need a very clear situation of your licenses for the renew:

• at first have to remember  the deadline of your licenses;
  • usually it's a good idea to have the same deadline for the subscription and for the assistance on the perpetual license,
  • so at the same deadline you have to renew the assistance on the perpetual and renew the subscriptio.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

oleg106
Explorer

Thanks, what about the second part of my question?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oleg106,

sorry I forgot the second part of your question!

So, no it's possible to configure only one License Master for each Indexer, but you can set different License Master for different Indexers.

Anyway, the best practice is to have only one License Master that has all the licenses of your pools, in this way you can easily manage your licenses and your pools.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...