Installation

How to start indexing a new syslog host?

dritjon
Path Finder

Bear with me as this is the first time im doing this.

I configured a vmware host to send its events via syslog to splunk. It is working. Raw logs are stored in /opt/syslog/192.168.x.x in four different types (local, daemon logs etc)

Now, how do I index these logs? How do I create a new index=vmware which will start index raw logs and I can start searching?

Googled a bit but I cant find a step-by-step tutorial

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dritjon,

let me understand: you configured a syslog-ng or anotehr kind of syslog server that writes the received logs in files of the above folder, is it correct?

The second question is: syslog server in on the same server where Splunk is installed or in a different one?

If in the same server you have to:

• by GUI create a new index (better) or use an existing one (e.g. main) [Settings -- Indexes -- new Index],
  • by GUI create a new input [Settings -- Data inputs -- Files & Directories -- New Local File & Directory]
  • use your logs in searches

if in different servers, you have to:

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...