Installation

How to send syslog into Splunk?

Somesh
Engager

Hello,

I have 10 servers with syslog generated. How do I ingest those syslog into the Splunk server. I have gone through the SC4S document. Do I have to install Splunk Connector for Syslog on all 10 machines ? or Do we have any other best way to ingest the syslog ? Also can we use Secure syslog port 6514 ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Somesh,

you have to configure a receiver on Splunk and configure your 10 servers to send their syslogs to the Splunk Server.

About the way to receive syslogs you have three ways:

• using SC4S,
  • using rsyslog on the Splunk Server (if Linux) and reading the files with Splunk,
  • use Splunk to ingest syslogs.

the last solution is the easiest because you have only to enable a network input by GUI and it's finished, but reading in Community it isn't encouraged.

Then you can put the receiver on the same Splunk server or in another system: in cases 1 and 2 using a Universal Forwarder, in case 3 you have to use an Heavy Forwarder.

In addition, as you know, syslogs must be taken runtime, otherwise you loose them, so you have to avoid a Single Point of Failure and the best approach is to have two systems as syslog receivers with a Load Balancer as front end to distribute traffic and manage fail over.

In conclusion, only one question: if your 10 servers are standard Windows or Linux Servers, why don't you think to use a Universal Forwarder instead syslogs?

in this case:

• you have a local cache, so you don't lose logs in case of failure or maintenance, 
  • you have a bandwidht optimization,
  • packets compression,
  • and other advantages.

Usually syslogs are used only from closed appliances as firewalls, proxies, routers or access Points.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Somesh,

you have to configure a receiver on Splunk and configure your 10 servers to send their syslogs to the Splunk Server.

About the way to receive syslogs you have three ways:

• using SC4S,
  • using rsyslog on the Splunk Server (if Linux) and reading the files with Splunk,
  • use Splunk to ingest syslogs.

the last solution is the easiest because you have only to enable a network input by GUI and it's finished, but reading in Community it isn't encouraged.

Then you can put the receiver on the same Splunk server or in another system: in cases 1 and 2 using a Universal Forwarder, in case 3 you have to use an Heavy Forwarder.

In addition, as you know, syslogs must be taken runtime, otherwise you loose them, so you have to avoid a Single Point of Failure and the best approach is to have two systems as syslog receivers with a Load Balancer as front end to distribute traffic and manage fail over.

In conclusion, only one question: if your 10 servers are standard Windows or Linux Servers, why don't you think to use a Universal Forwarder instead syslogs?

in this case:

• you have a local cache, so you don't lose logs in case of failure or maintenance, 
  • you have a bandwidht optimization,
  • packets compression,
  • and other advantages.

Usually syslogs are used only from closed appliances as firewalls, proxies, routers or access Points.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Somesh ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...